Changing bellows on 96' cobra sx

buick6472

Cadet
Hello, how difficult is it to change out the two bellows on my outdrive? Do I need any special tools? I have a 1996 Volvo penta 4.3l engine with a cobra sx out drive. On the id tag on the drive it reads: Omc cobra. Prod no. 3868156. *Serial no. T0798541. I realize it will be a big job and will need help handling the out drive. But can an average joe with moderate mechanical experience tackle this? The bellows have some slight cracking in the grooves of the bellows and don't want to chance any leakage. Only had the boat 11/2 years. Not sure when they were changed last. Local boat dealer calling for nearly $400 labor. Anyone in the flint Mi area that could help me with it. Would gladly pay for some hands on guidance. Just hate to pay that much for labor. Thanks for any help/replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Changing bellows on 96' cobra sx

Actually, they are really easy to change, no special tools required.
Remove the drive.
Disconnect the exhaust bellows from the pivot housing. Here is a snap ring inside the bellows.
Unscrew the large plastic nut on the pivot housing that holds the water hose fitting in, and push the fitting out of the pivot housing.
Disconnect the ujoint bellows from both ends and carefully pull out the bottom past exhaust bellows and hose.
Install new bellows in reverse order, just be careful not to snag or cut the new bellows on anything when pushing it up into position.
Use a new sealing ring around the water port when you put the drive back on.

buick6472

Cadet
Re: Changing bellows on 96' cobra sx

Ok Don, You make it sound pretty simple. When removing the drive, there is no sealant or gaskets between it and the pivot housing except for using a new sealing ring for the water port when reassembling? And the drive appears to only have 4 or 6 bolts that hold it on? Pretty straight forward, i can handle that. Now, once im at the point of the drive being off and bellows removed is it an easy or much harder task to check/change the u joints?