volvo penta 5.0 Gi

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I have a question regarding a 2001 Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi engine with a Volvo SX outdrive, the question is can I add a freshwater flush kit to this type engine. My berth is in Norwalk on the Long Island Sound which is saltwater. I would like to flush the engine out with freshwater after each use, If there is a kit where can I purchase one, and is it hard to install. Thanks JOE

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta 5.0 Gi

There is a number of systems on the market, or you can make one with some bronze ball valves and fittings.<br />I did a google search for Marine engine flushing systems and got loads of information.<br /> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Marine+engine+flushing+systems&btnG=Google+Search <br /><br />Volvo also makes a "Neutra Salt Flushing System" that just adds a salt neutralizing solution into the cooling system. I installed one on my engine because I don't have fresh water at the dock. Does the same thing as flushing with water (Probably better) without doing anything but pushing a button.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don for the info. I'll think I will purchase the parts and make my own flushing tee. Can you tell me what hose line the tee is installed on. Is it the inlet to the water pump?

Don S

Hook it up somewhere in the hose between the transom shield fitting and the raw water pump. Then you turn on the water, start the engine and let it idle for a while. The shutoff valve keeps water from being sucked in from the drive by the raw water pump.

mmainelli

Seaman Apprentice

I've just repowered with a 2005 Volvo 4.3 GXi that has a flush hose between transom and raw water pump. When I introduce standard hose pressure water at engine idle, the hose water preesure supplies enough water to flush the engine and even back flush through the power steering oil cooler and out the sterndrive. Only with increased revs to about 1000-1100 does engine hog all the hose water and begin to also pull seawater through the outdrive. Since manual says to flush only at idle, you can save the shut-off valve, one more unnecessay part. And last fall, when I winterized the block, I simply put duct tape over the outdrive intake ports to not lose gravity-fed AF to the raw pump into the block. I first ran for 10 minutes on hose only, to heat up the block so I didnt have a long wait for the thermostat to open when on the AF.

Don S

That works great as long as you have a high volume amount of water coming from the hose. Some of the places I have been doen't have enough water pressure or volume out on the docks to flush an engine without shutting off the source of salt water (aka the water from the drive) that is why the manufactured units come with a valve.<br />Beats sucking in half fresh and half salt water when you thought you had all fresh.<br />It's just a safety type thing for those wanting to be sure.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guy's for the info. One last question can you recommend a good service manuel for the 2001 volvo penta 5.0 Gi with a volvo penta SX outdrive. Thanks again!

Don S

The "ONLY" way to go is with a OEM Volvo manual. What is the complete model number or serial number on your engine? I can tell you which manual you need.<br /><br /><br /> Volvo Engine ID

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Question: If he disconnects the hose from the transom shield to the engine to install the tee while the boat is in the water won't sea water pour in?

Don S

Yes it would allow water in, and it would be best to do it OUT of the water. That or quickly plug the hole when you take the hose off. Personally, I wouldn't want that much salt water spraying all over the place before I got it capped off.

Dock Side

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Don, Been away from the computer a while,the model number is a 2001 5.0 Gi with a SX outdrive both are manufacterured by Volvo Penta. #4012021553

Don S

That is why I like engine serial numbers or model numbers instead of year of the boat. Your engine is actually a 2000 model 5.0GiPEFS The model is an EF if you go insearch of parts.<br />The service manual part number for the 4 manual SET is 3850074.