Volvo 280B Shift Cable

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don;<br />I was taking a very carfull look at the lower unit today, and noticed that the shift cable end that goes to the lower outdrive, the metal ferral is split and the plastic cable sheathing is split in a couple of places, looks like I'll have to replace it, when I looked one the inside of the boat, it seems that the cable is inside a 1" black hose that screws into to transom sheild, is this hose part of the shifting assembley? or could I reuse it? , I'm assuming that the cable is ordered per foot, the boat is a CX225 Bayliner, I have no idea what brand the throttle/shift lever is and does that make a differance?<br />On another note, I also noticed that the exhaust bellows has a rub mark/tear ( about the size of the pencel lead, in a #2 pencel ) on the second ridge of the bellows near the outdrive,seems that it is hitting/rubbing the inside fork where the holes for the triming limit bar is, I'm assuming this outdrive set-up has the internal flappers in the bellows, as it has no flappers on the exhaust cavetation plate opening, do I need to replace this bellows? also should I use OEM parts or what is your thoughts on the aftermarket suppliers, im reguard to bellows

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 280B Shift Cable

You can reuse the hose. If you notice, the end of the hose where the cable goes through is ABOVE the water line. Keep it that way. That hose is what waterproofs the inside of the boat from the outside. Volvo sells the cables as well as Teleflex. They are just the standard cable ends on both ends. Nothing special like Mercruiser or OMC.<br />Rub marks in the exhaust bellows are not a problem, neither is a small hole. Unless it gets bigger, I wouldn't worry about it.