Volvo 270T Help needed to bleed the tilt cylinder.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer
Can somebody please help me with the correct procedure to bleed the hydraulic system?<br />I’m running a 270T with 302 Ford in a 20’ Cobra Ski boat. Recently I noticed a clunk noise when going from a trailing throttle to moderate or full power again. Upon investigation it seems the leg is moving back off the trim push rod when I back off (about 1 inch). It than slams back against the rod when the power is reapplied. This led me to believe that the trim or tilt mechanism required bleeding, after attempting this via the bleed nipple at the top of the tilt cylinder all I managed to do was make it worse. I now have about 6 inches of free play. Please, please, pleaseeeeee help!

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo 270T Help needed to bleed the tilt cylinder.

Someone will be along to help you, paulie. Where abouts in Aus are you?

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Well I hope your right. I live in Melb, boat lives at lake Eildon in central Victoria.

Dunaruna

Admiral

I don't know anything about the 'T' model, so I'm of no use to you BUT I also boat at eildon, in fact I have a marina berth in the harbour (Eildon, not Jews). Where is yours?<br /><br />Keep bumping this up, someone will see it - hopefully sensai ;)

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Goughs Bay, In-laws have a house there. Nice to see some better water levels this year! And more good rains last week or so will help a lot. Last year we were pretty much off the water at Goughs by Easter as the good ski inlets around the river mouths were just getting to shallow. This year looks like it will be a good one with good levels right through the season. :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

I recently sold my runabout, it had a 270 (not trim) and 302w. What you got there is rare around here, I searched for a 270T for three years without luck. Tony at Eildon outboards does carry some secondhand parts though & he's a good guy - won't rip you off.<br /><br />Is your ram leaking?<br /><br />Yep, it's over 50% now, that about 15% better than this time last year. Should be a good season - and the trout are biting!

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, rare but very happy. Boat has been on the lake for over 20 years and the whole kit is in 'like new' condition. No leaks at all from the cylinder. I'm confident its just due to be bled but we just couldn't get it right......... I'm assuming there is a procedure to follow, but until I know the procedure I'm a bit stuck. I'm sure when day breaks in Nth America I'll get some help.<br /><br />I know Tony and yes he has a good reputation. I will take it to him if I have to, but would prefer to fix it myself if I can.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

Fill with hydraulic oil (see “Technical Data”) and check<br />the function of the hydraulic pump and for leakage. The<br />system is vented automatically by raising and lowering<br />the drive several times.<br /><br />Drive tends to float up during dethrottling.<br />11 Leakage in safety release valve<br />12 Leakage in safety valve<br />13 Leakage past the piston sealing in the lift cylinder<br />17 Leakage in the double valve or its O-rings<br />20 Leakage past the piston rod sealing in the lift cylinder<br /><br />This comes from Volvo #7726380-4<br />Workshop manual AQ270T<br />Looks like you might need a little more than bleeding, might want to order the manual.<br />Good Luck muc

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Keep bumping this up, someone will see it - hopefully sensai ;)
Well Aldo, if you was refering to me, he's in trouble. I have never even seen a 270T.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Ok so I'll take from that, there is not a 'bleed procedure' as such. Thanks to all who offered help with my problem. Seems I'll be rebuilding pumps and rams this weekend!!!!!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Don S:<br />
Keep bumping this up, someone will see it - hopefully sensai ;)
Well Aldo, if you was refering to me, he's in trouble. I have never even seen a 270T.
Oh well, doesn't hurt to ask.<br /><br />Paulie, Don pretty well lives and breaths pentas'. If he don't know, nobody will. Give Tony a call, I have seen 'T's up on the lake, I'm confident (but not sure) he has worked on them and he will give info over the phone.<br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Aldo

whywhyzed

Banned

You don't bleed hydraulic cylinders. There's no need, ever. When oil goes in the "rod" end, the "base" end oil goes back to the reservoir. If there's air, it goes back to the reservoir too, and floats out in the reservoir which is vented to atmosphere.<br />If you ever get air in your cylinders taking them apart or whatnot, just run them all the way in and out once you get everything back together- air gone.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the info hystat, based on that I should be ok after the pump and rams are rebuilt. I did them around 10 years ago, seems like a long time but with the boat only getting wet for a couple of months each summer its not all that long in hours running. Maybe just a case of fluid leaking back past the seals in the trim ram. I'll start by rebuilding that and see where I get to from there.<br /><br />Thanks again to all for your help.

paulie0735

Chief Petty Officer

Does anybody have a link to an exploded view of the upper unit including the tilt and trim rams and pump? Or a parts list? <br /><br />Thanks