Volvo Penta 1999 4.3GL, Continued starter issues

birdpiper

Seaman Apprentice
A short history:
1) Original VP starter ? Began having ignition issues two seasons ago. Replaced the original starter, but the issue was most likely the relay. The original starter solenoid connections were badly corroded and damaged while removing.
2) First non-VP starter ? Worked great until the end of the season (probably about 20 hours of use). Several times (towards the end of the season) the engine would not shut off after turning the ignition switch. Even disconnecting the battery would not kill the engine. The bilge pump switch failed during a period of heavy rain resulting in bilge water rising to the level of the starter (bottom of engine). Result ? no ignition, not even a clicking of the starter. Had to paddle the boat from the dock to the ramp for winter haul out :-(
3) Second non-VP starter ? Bought from a different manufacturer and installed at the beginning of this season. I also cleaned all of the connections prior to installation. Started right away and ran great on the trailer (with muffs) while preparing for the season. Launched the boat and used it for about two hours during which time there were no issues, started right up and turned off when the ignition key was turned. Yesterday I went to take the boat out. It started right away, but ?died? after running for a few minutes. Started again, same thing, died after a few minutes. (there is a slight chance the stopping of the engine was related to the kill switch. As part of the diagnostic I am replacing the kill switch. At the time I had a temporary wire ?wedged? in place to complete the circuit. I solved by removing the temporary wire, stripped the two wires and twisted together = Solved temporarily, new kill switch to follow). The next few attempts to start resulted in various ?grinding/clanking? noises, but no turnover. It is an old battery (which I plan to replace this week), so I hooked up a charger ? still no turnover, just louder noises.

I am going to attempt the following troubleshooting this week, I am hopeful that the problem is with the new starter and not the engine:
1) Replace the battery, could the old battery with charger (start mode) connected still not be enough amps to fully engage the starter?
2) Remove the starter and inspect the teeth on the starter and engine flywheel. (FYI ? I am getting good at removing/installing starters :) )
2) Bench test the starter, Any tips on this? A good video link would be useful

Any other ideas?

Thanks

QuadDriver

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 1999 4.3GL, Continued starter issues

Well first a little hint: they are all non-VP starters. Your GM engine uses a delco Remy or licensed clone for marine use. Personally I prefer local rebuilds over 'new' as you dont even get what you pay for nowadays....quality can be spotty.

Next, unless your boat is re-wired ford style, the solenoid is on the starter - I think you are saying that - and the pilot circuit comes from there. This pilot circuit will not have anything to do with making it run forever - once it got started, alternator output can supply the ign and/or ECM to keep it going.

Immersing the solenoid - yeah I can see that as being bad but you are suffering a cascade of failures here.

If the battery is >3 years old, dont sweat a new battery - once again you dont always get what you pay for and non-automotive quality can be spotty. And if it was an automotive starting battery, they can be fragile in abusive environments as the plates can move, touch, short

So once you have a battery known good, test for power at key-on locations - i.e. things that only light up when the key is on and make sure the ign switch is not bad. then use a test light on the 'S' terminal and make sure it lights only when turnign the key to start.

should this all check out, go the last mile and do a full systems check.

I need to know/see more to say more...