Volvo 275 Outdrive and Manuals

Grundle

Cadet
hello all, i was recently looking at my 1989 volvo 275 outdrive and noticed that there is some sort of cable (shift cable?) that comes off the outdrive and goes into the motor compartment. the cable is frayed and damaged, and i want to change it out before it snaps. some questions:
1 what is the cable for?
2 is it something that a person with good mechanical ability and tools can do?
3 does anyone have links to owner/service/parts manuals for this outdrive?

your help is appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 275 Outdrive and Manuals

Check the stickies at the top of this forum, answers to all your questions are in there.

Grundle

Cadet

thanks for pointing out the stickys don, i didnt even know they were there. i found the parts manual, but i am still looking around there for the owners/maintenance manual.

also, do you know what that cable does?

Grundle

Cadet

well, i have searched around the stickies at the top of the forum. i was able to find a parts manual for the AQ275 outdrive that i have, but i wasnt able to see that cable i am trying to replace. is there any maintenance / owners manuals for these outdrives?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have no idea what you are looking at, but here is the sticky at the top of the forum http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

When you go there, click on item #11, it's called Volvo Penta Information

Then look at items 10 and 15.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Sticky.jpg
    Sticky.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 9

Grundle

Cadet

don, that is where i have been looking. i am able to find the operators manual and also the workshop manual for my engine. they also have some things in there about the outdrive. however, i am not able to find any information on the cable that i see coming from the outdrive and going up into the stern of the boat. it looks like some kind of shifter cable, or something like that. i dont know what it is, or what it does, all i know is that it is damaged and i want to replace it before it breaks. i have found the 3 or 4 different parts diagrams for the outdrive, but i am not able to see that cable anywhere.
i dont know if there is a specific manual for the outdrive itself or not. i am very confused and could use any more info you can provide.

Grundle

Cadet

Ah HAH !!! what i was missing is the little tab at the bottom where the manuals were to scroll left and right. i only saw the 4 manuals that popped up in the library when you chose Volvo. thanks again for all your help Don. one last question, is that cable a fairly easy thing to replace, or would you recommend a trained mechanic do it?

Grundle

Cadet

thanks 74, i am going to give it a shot and see what happens

Grundle

Cadet

ok, i have been doing some reading about changing out this shift cable. apparently, the cable isnt in the parts breakdowns because it is different for each boat. (i am still trying to get used to the differences with the boat mfg, engine mfg, and also outdrive mfg.).
i have read on some posts to look at the cable, and the length and other info will be on it. of course, mine is just blank. so, i am wondering if anyone can tell me the length of the cable i need from the information below. (or, is the only option i have to physically measure it?)

oh... also, i believe the best bet for me is to use a Morse 33c supreme cable. if anyone has any other suggestions, please offer them up!

looking to replace the shift control cable

boat: 1989 baretta success 200 cuddy
motor: 1989 volvo penta AQ131D
outdrive: volvo 275

any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Grundle

Cadet

UPDATE:
i think i have it figured out, all i need to know is how to measure the cable. is the cable measured from END to END, or is it measured by the length of the SLEEVE.
also, does anyone have any suggestions besides using a Morse 33C control cable?

Grundle

Cadet

UPDATE:
i was able to get a 16' Teleflex control cable from my local West Marine. i have never done any maintenance like this before, and it only took me about an hour to get the old cable out, and maybe 30 minutes to install the new one. i can't believe how much smoother it shifts! mental note; when the shifter gets tough to move, there is something wrong with the cable. (it was split, frayed, and corroded by the outdrive)
Thanks to everyone who offered up some help with this task! this website and it's people are a great resource that, in about two months of using it, have already saved me hundreds of $$$ in maintenance costs!!

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Good Job. Glad it worked out for you :) Happy safe boating