Replacing Lube in Volvo Penta 290 DP

GaylenP

Recruit
I want to replace the lube in my Volvo Penta 290 DP and have gotten conflicting advice on the type of lube and how best to replace it. The lube that came out was blue (synthetic?) but my local marine supply store recommended non-synthetic 90 weight lube oil which is pretty much clear. Which is best?

Also, the manual says NEVER fill above the flat space on the dipstick, but the recommended method of filling is from the bottom up until it reaches the hex head plug at the top which is well above the flat spot on the dipstick. How does that make sense? Am I supposed to then drain out the excess until I get down to the correct level?

Help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Lube in Volvo Penta 290 DP

Also, the manual says NEVER fill above the flat space on the dipstick, but the recommended method of filling is from the bottom up

What manual are you looking at, Volvo sure doesn't recommend filling from the bottom up.
Any gear lube with a GL5 mineral or synthetic will work.
The blue or blue/green oil is probably the Mercruiser High Performance gear lube, which works quite well in those drives.

Might want to go to the link below and download the owners manual for your engine.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx