2 Year Old Volvo Penta Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs clogging with rust

GaylenP

Recruit
In 2009 after 18 years I finally had to replace the exhaust manifolds on my 1991 Volvo 570A/PS with 290 DP with fresh water cooling that runs exclusively in salt water. (Not bad!) The boat comes out of the water at the end of the 3 month salmon fishing season and as part of the winterization process I drain the exhaust manifolds and disconnect & drain the raw water hoses.
This year when I was putting the plugs back in the ends of the exhaust manifolds I was alarmed when I noticed a fair amount of rust partially clogging up the drain holes that must've washed out while it was draining at the end of last season. I poked around with a small screwdriver and scooped out more rust flakes - about a half hand full from each manifold.
I know that hot salt water + cast iron = rust, but how much is 'normal'? How long should I expect these new(ish) exhaust manifolds to last? And is there any practical way to extend the life of the manifolds during the fishing season?

MotorheadTed

Seaman
Re: 2 Year Old Volvo Penta Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs clogging with rust

You must have a "half" system (block & heads) only cooling system. You could convert to a "full" system by plumbing in the exhaust manifolds, but that doesn't include the risers, they will always be salt water cooled.
I have the same siluation and I'm in the process of installing the V/P "Neutra-salt" flushing system, which supposedly neutralizes the salt in the cooling water at engine shut-down. FRom what I've read (internet search) it actually works. I snagged my (new in box) system on flea-bay for $200 shipped. You might want to check it out !

GaylenP

Recruit
Re: 2 Year Old Volvo Penta Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs clogging with rust

You must have a "half" system (block & heads) only cooling system. You could convert to a "full" system by plumbing in the exhaust manifolds, but that doesn't include the risers, they will always be salt water cooled.
I have the same siluation and I'm in the process of installing the V/P "Neutra-salt" flushing system, which supposedly neutralizes the salt in the cooling water at engine shut-down. FRom what I've read (internet search) it actually works. I snagged my (new in box) system on flea-bay for $200 shipped. You might want to check it out !

Thanks for the tip. Any idea what is involved in converting to a "full" system? how do you plumb in the exhaust manifolds?