volvo penta sp cd drive u joint replacement?? Helm wont lift??

M&M1337

Cadet
I have all nuts and off and upper will lift but I cant get the helm to raise to remove upper. I just need to change my u-joint bellows. can anyone help please. Don s had a great pic for removal but i am stuck at helm.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta sp cd drive u joint replacement?? Helm wont lift??

Assuming you mean helmet not helm. Did you remove the two screws and pull the steering pin out of the helmet?

M&M1337

Cadet

Assuming you mean helmet not helm. Did you remove the two screws and pull the steering pin out of the helmet?

yes i did remove 2 screws and it wants to come off but it must be the pin, where would it be i can not see it. thanks for your help!!

Don S

The pin (#2 in picture below) is what those two bolts (#1) were holding in. Get yourself a couple of 1/4-20 bolts about 1.5" long and screw them into the threaded holes of the pin and use as jack screws to pull the pin out.

Steering pin.jpg

M&M1337

Cadet

The pin (#2 in picture below) is what those two bolts (#1) were holding in. Get yourself a couple of 1/4-20 bolts about 1.5" long and screw them into the threaded holes of the pin and use as jack screws to pull the pin out.

View attachment 151282

should I be putting ALOT of force on these screws? I cant turn withe my hands anymore its still not out.

Don S

You will have to use a wrench, they do get corroded in there at times.

M&M1337

Cadet

ok .i take it this pin will come outall the way or move enough to slide the helmet forward

M&M1337

Cadet

got it off thank you!! drive shaft wont come off upper,any tricks?

Don S

You have to lift the upper straight up so you can get a thin screwdrive under the bearing and push down on the coupler. If the upper is not perpendicular to the lower, it will not push down. Once cleared, you turn the upper on it's side and pull if from the primary dive shaft.

M&M1337

Cadet

Don I thank you. I will be in the water sunday thanks to you:) All fixed new bellows on everything went back together like clock work.