2001 Volvo Penta 3.0L Starter Hammering Sound

vincentp

Recruit
I bought a boat with a volvo penta 3.0l in it, after about 2 hours of opperation it threw a rod right through the side of the block! fortunally my money was returned. After some investigation on a new motor I made an offer to buy the boat at a much less price which was accepted. I've replaced the new motor with no trouble but I've yet to get the motor to start. All I get is a rapid hammering sound, (not a clicking), from the starter, I do not know if its engaging the flywheel or not. I haven't tested the starter yet but have it off the motor. I had the battery tested which showed it to be good. I believe I've wired it back correctly, (using a diagram that was posted here), but I've got a wire or two more than what's pictured. I'm just looking for any ideas or thoughts on what might cause this. I'm thinking of buying a new starter. Any help is appreciated.

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2001 Volvo Penta 3.0L Starter Hammering Sound

I would say bad starter; it sounds like the actuator freaking out. Instead of fully activating it slips back and forth. Before just replacing I would check the ground and manually jump the starter to put aside all other worries.