Sucking air from the Water Hose in the outdrive (1998 Volvo Penta Outdrive DP-S1)

Franky4Boats

Cadet
I had a heating problem but only over 1500, checked everything in the boat. Eventually pulled her and ran water from the Raw Water Pump out through the outdrive and saw water coming from the drive above the exhaust bellows where the water line seems to attach to the drive.

Diagnosis Q's
1. Is water oly supposed to come from the little holes on the sides above the prop?
2. If water leaks from the area where the hose and the bellows connect to the drive does this mean that there is a hole in the line?
3. Would that cause air bubbles or restrict water flow to the motor?

Repair Q's
1. If so can these be changed without having to pull the drive? Can I get to it if I pull the drive?
2. Cylinders are off and it goes pretty far up, the bellows at the drive doesnt seem to have a hose clamp like the boat side?
3. If i have to pull the drive will I also have to pull the collar and what tools would I need to get the collar off?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sucking air from the Water Hose in the outdrive (1998 Volvo Penta Outdrive DP-S1)

Diagnosis Q's
1. Is water oly supposed to come from the little holes on the sides above the prop?

Not sure what holes you are referring to. Pictures would help.

2. If water leaks from the area where the hose and the bellows connect to the drive does this mean that there is a hole in the line?
it's possible, could also be a cracked fitting. The hose attaches to a plastic fitting.

3. Would that cause air bubbles or restrict water flow to the motor?
Air when you go fast enough for the water level to drop below where the leak is.

Repair Q's
1. If so can these be changed without having to pull the drive? Can I get to it if I pull the drive?

No, you will have to pull the drive and the pivot housing to replace the hose.
The drive should be removed yearly for maintenance and to check alighment and grease the coupler splines.

2. Cylinders are off and it goes pretty far up, the bellows at the drive doesnt seem to have a hose clamp like the boat side?
There is a snap ring inside you can see after the drive is removed.

3. If i have to pull the drive will I also have to pull the collar and what tools would I need to get the collar off?

Not sure what you are calling a collar, the drive and the pivot housing have to come off. No real special tools required, a 1/2" allan wrench fits the pins in the pivot bolts.

Here is a link to the service manual http://www.4shared.com/file/50982625/e2bdb42c/SX_DP-S_Service_Manual.html

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sucking air from the Water Hose in the outdrive (1998 Volvo Penta Outdrive DP-S1)

Franky - pulling the drive is not a big deal. Looks like you may be close to me. PM me if you want a hand next week.

Franky4Boats

Cadet

Heck yea, I would love help. I havent pulled the drive off yet only because it is not coming right off. I have to try the Penetrating Oil and Torch in the morning and try to shim it off. It hasent been more than 3 years since I had it off, but I didnt come off when I tried today. Any advice how to get it to seperate?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They have a habit of corroding around the studs that hold the drive to the pivot housing. That is why they suggest you put sealing compound (grease works just as good and not near as messy) on the studs before you re-install the drive.

Franky4Boats

Cadet

I read the posts that suggested slamming it down, using oil, torch, lift cylinders. I dont want to screw up the seal with , do you have any recommendations on how to use shims, what type of material to make them out of etc?