97 Volvo SX Cobra C1 Outdrive stripped dipstick threads - repair?

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, wondering if anyone has just welded the dipstick hole when the threads have stripped? As the dipstick is not really needed other than for convenience. Making sure not to weld the small port in the cover. After all, Merc's don't have dipsticks.

Also, wondering about the torque specs on the cover bolts and dipstick. I saw an old post that said the manual specified in. Lb. and not ft Lb. for both, but the manual I downloaded says 48-72 ft. Lb. for the dipstick and 16-18 ft. Lb. for the cover screws. Just wanted to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

Assuming if I reuse the same cover, I do not need to recheck the clearance, right? What about the gasket? Get a new one, or can it be reused if i put some sealer on it?

One last question, is Volvo Penta Gasket Sealing Compound P/N 1161099 really needed on the 4 cover screws? I see the manual also specifies this on the dipstick too. Is this the same anaerobic sealer that Seadoo uses for the crank case sealer? Since the holes are all outside of the rubber gasket, is sealer really needed here?

What is the 3M Adhesive for the cover gasket? "F" in the attachment.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• LU.jpg
    LU.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 97 Volvo SX Cobra C1 Outdrive stripped dipstick threads - repair?

Well its welded. Looks pretty good and don't think it will leak. See before and after pics. Was this the right move? Buys time anyway. Still have some open questions in the main post if someone could help me out.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Boat Cover 1.JPG
    Boat Cover 1.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat Cover 2.JPG
    Boat Cover 2.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 0

cpjxh7

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 97 Volvo SX Cobra C1 Outdrive stripped dipstick threads - repair?

Back on the water and all is good. Funny, thought i would get some feedback on this. Guess it wasnt challenging enough ;)