Opinions on the Volvo Ocean series for a repower (OSI-XDP)

jstcrzyengh

Seaman
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/...owerforleisureboats/ocean_series/5.0_osi-xdp/ <br /><br />The above link is the engine I am looking at for my repower. The boat will be used 90% in the salt, I will probably stick with their composite props as they will warranty them and it means less electrolysis. Anyone here using the composite setup? I am going with FWC as well. I want to here any differences, horror or praise stories before I pull the trigger on this purchase since the composite setup is about $2k (with props) more than say a standard DP drive.<br /><br />Thanks guys<br /><br />James

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Opinions on the Volvo Ocean series for a repower (OSI-XDP)

Personally, I would avoid the XDP drive with composit props. Too hard to work on for no more than you gain.<br />Unless you use your boat more than 6 months out of the year, I would stick with the standard DP drive (DP-SM) with either Aluminum or Stainless props. Keep anodes fresh and be aware of the stray currents around your boat from other boats and docks and you should be fine. We have lots of them with no problems here that are in 4 or 5 months out of the year. <br />While the composite prop sounds good, the warranty does not cover hitting something, and they can get really tore up with a 2" diameter stick that we have a lot of around here.<br />Instead of going to the XDP, spend your money on a 5.7 not the 5.0. That's 50 extra horsepower.<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/...owerforleisureboats/gasoline_sterndrive/57dp/ <br /><br />I've installed many of the above engine/drive setups, and no complaints yet. Some are 6 or 7 years old now, same drive.<br /><br />You can also get the "Neutra Salt" system installed for the engine. Comes standard with the XDP system, I have it on my late 70's engine now to protect the new manifolds and risers as much as possible.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> Personally, I would avoid the XDP drive with composit props. Too hard to work on for no more than you gain.<br />Unless you use your boat more than 6 months out of the year, I would stick with the standard DP drive (DP-SM) with either Aluminum or Stainless props. Keep anodes fresh and be aware of the stray currents around your boat from other boats and docks and you should be fine. We have lots of them with no problems here that are in 4 or 5 months out of the year. <br />While the composite prop sounds good, the warranty does not cover hitting something, and they can get really tore up with a 2" diameter stick that we have a lot of around here.<br />Instead of going to the XDP, spend your money on a 5.7 not the 5.0. That's 50 extra horsepower.<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/...owerforleisureboats/gasoline_sterndrive/57dp/ <br /><br />I've installed many of the above engine/drive setups, and no complaints yet. Some are 6 or 7 years old now, same drive.<br /><br />You can also get the "Neutra Salt" system installed for the engine. Comes standard with the XDP system, I have it on my late 70's engine now to protect the new manifolds and risers as much as possible.
I would say the boat will be used 9 months out of the year two to three times a week in the salt, though nothing too close to shore to run aground. The other 3 months is spent in freshwater, again two to three times a week. Sometimes I even do winter trips for sand dabs and rockcod, so we could see a full 12 months in the salt. I will get the extended warranty as well. Is the only reason to stay away from the composite drive the composite props? I know that repairs can be a pain, but I am stickler when it comes to maintenance and have a great local mechanic here.<br /><br />I just havent seen any composites out here in california yet, hard to find information online about them. Only maybe a post of two on iboats...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking Ontario CANADA, not Calif, when I made the post, in the warmer waters and hotter harbors of Calif, the XDP might be a good thing. Especially if you have a good mechanic available.<br />I still have little use for plastic props. <br />The XDP is still fairly new, and not many boats come new with them. Even if they did the customers may not post here. I think rodbolt see's quite a few in the NC area, maybe he will have some comments on their life.<br />Now if you had a 70's Merc or OMC 4 or inline 6, you sure came to the right place.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> I was thinking Ontario CANADA, not Calif, when I made the post, in the warmer waters and hotter harbors of Calif, the XDP might be a good thing. Especially if you have a good mechanic available.<br />I still have little use for plastic props. <br />The XDP is still fairly new, and not many boats come new with them. Even if they did the customers may not post here. I think rodbolt see's quite a few in the NC area, maybe he will have some comments on their life.<br />Now if you had a 70's Merc or OMC 4 or inline 6, you sure came to the right place.
No worries most people think I am in Canada :) I had, or still have, a 77 OMC stringer on the boat I am going to sell, its been too much trouble, and just put WAY too much money into it. So I bought a hull of a 21 airslot and am building it from the ground up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

the XDP seems to work well here, changing the gimbal bearing is more of a pain, the composite props dont work well on heavy hulls and dont take getting hit well at all.<br /> overall they seem to do ok, however I still like the DP-sm with stainless props. the XDP also has a lube oil monitor which is nice.

jstcrzyengh

Seaman

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> the XDP seems to work well here, changing the gimbal bearing is more of a pain, the composite props dont work well on heavy hulls and dont take getting hit well at all.<br /> overall they seem to do ok, however I still like the DP-sm with stainless props. the XDP also has a lube oil monitor which is nice.
As far as the heavy hulls it will be on 21ft Airslot, relatively heavy hull for its size, with engine its about 4200lbs, with fuel its 5000, with gear, all the stainless and 4 guys we are easily at 6200 on the water... Will they have a problem with distortion? Stock engine pushed the boat to 32mph top speed and that was 190hp, the Volvo 5.0 runs 270hp so I dont think it should be a problem as far as lack of power. I also think the 5.0 gives me the best shot at slower trolling speeds, unlike say a bigger 300-330hp 350. We do a lot of trolling out here and if I can get 26mph (29.9 knots) at a cruise speed, maybe even top end I am happy (26 miles to the island) and get 3mpg I will be a happy camper, but I also dont want to be spinning props on the water, not fun.