1995 Volvo SX Outdrive to Pivot Housing Gasket

jbart90

Cadet
Hi All,
First, I have a 1995 OMC Cobra SX... basically a 1995 Volvo SX with different paint and stickers; this past weekend I removed the drive for the first time since I have owned the boat (only owned for about a year), the drive was being pulled to replace a noisy gimbal bearing. Upon pulling the drive I noticed that there was no gasket/silicone/gasket maker/etc. between the outdrive and the pivot housing with which to seal water out (just two machined surfaces mated together). I know that mercruisers and older cobra drives have a gasket in this location that is supposed to be replaced whenever the drive is pulled. I had purchased a Sierra seal kit (#18-2613), supposedly for my model drive, and the gasket that came with the kit did not fit, however the o-rings and water seal were correct. My question is whether or not this drive should have a gasket, silicone, or something between these surfaces to keep the water out. My manual does not mention one, and I cannot find one for sale on the internet. Sorry for the long post, and thank you for the advice and responses.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Volvo SX Outdrive to Pivot Housing Gasket

The Volvo SX doesn't use the gasket.