98 volvo penta sx 3.0 GS Starter clicks

element77

Recruit
I read the sticky for ignition diagnosis and checked everything w/a test light.
My engine uses a relay. Here's the part I'm unclear of, if it's the starter itself or the relay.
So here is what I read and to restate.

"Ok, lets say when you hit the switch you hear a click from the engine, but no cranking of the starter. Now what do you check.
Simple, back to the slave solenoid on the engine. Hook up your test light clip to a good ground and touch the tip to terminal A, if it lights, touch it to terminal B and have your helper hit the starter switch again. If you hear a click and the light does not come on, then the problem is a bad slave solenoid. If you are out and need to start the engine, you can disconnect the wires from terminals B and C and hook them together and you will be able to bypass the slave solenoid all together and it should work. If not, due to long wire runs, just jump between terminals A and B to crank the engine over."

My test: terminal A lights, terminal B click and no light. However when I touch the two w/ a screwdriver I just get sparks and no start. So do I replace relay or have a bad starter?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 98 volvo penta sx 3.0 GS Starter clicks

With the relay, instead of a solenoid, check terminal B on the starter itself. You have to have the relay in the socket for it to work. If the relay is good, you then would have power to terminal B of the starter solenoid.
If you do have power to B on the starter solenoid, check terminal D when the key is in the start position. If D causes the test light to light up, then the solenoid is pulling in and you likely have a bad starter.
Remove the starter and have it tested.