fuel pump not pumping

superninja2

Recruit
Re: fuel pump not pumping

Hello. I wanted to see we could get any more suggestions on the above before we have to bring it in to a mechanic. I appreciate all of the help so far. thx.Gabe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As far as testing the alternator, after placing the jumper between terminals 87 & 30 on the relay socket, I had to scrape some paint off the bolt holding the green wire on the back of the alternator and touched it with one lead of the VM, then grounded the other VM lead, while someone turned the motor over.

That is not how the test was supposed to be done. The test was supposed to be done with the engine running, not just someone turning it over. Go back and read the test in reply #7.

Doc_V

Cadet

That is not how the test was supposed to be done. The test was supposed to be done with the engine running, not just someone turning it over. Go back and read the test in reply #7.

If you read my previous posts, you'd see the issue here now is the engine wont stay running even with the jumper in place. So what now?

Don S

Have you tried to give it some throttle to keep it running? It's a cold engine, and cold engines don't like low idle speeds till they warm up and the choke opens.

Doc_V

Cadet

We tried the throttle but still it won't stay running.

Don S

If I was working on it, I believe I would disconnect the fuel line from the carb, push a hose on the end of the line and run the pump with a jumper and see if you can pump gas into a gerry can. See if the pump keeps pumping or it just runs and nothing coming out.

Doc_V

Cadet

If I was working on it, I believe I would disconnect the fuel line from the carb, push a hose on the end of the line and run the pump with a jumper and see if you can pump gas into a gerry can. See if the pump keeps pumping or it just runs and nothing coming out.

We did that and the pump is working. Any other thoughts?

Don S

Did you let the pump run for several minutes? Might also try the same test with the relay installed. Just disconnect the green wire from the alternator and hook a jumper wire for the battery to the green wire and see if it will run the pump for 5 minutes or more.

Doc_V

Cadet

To be frank, I'm 40 miles from this boat, It'd save myself and the owner a lot of time and me some trips back and forth if you could give me some additional advice on what to do if the pump does pump for five mins, but the boat still wont start, then what next? ...And if the pump doesn't continue working for five mins, then what do we check after that?

I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give. Thanks.

Don S

If the pump works, check the carb. if it doesn't work it could be a faulty relay or pump.