volvo penta gxi dps-a trim hose replacement

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2008 volvo penta 5.7 gxi-j with a dps-a outdrive. The serial # of the engine is 4012226841 and the outdrive is 4151168134. one of the 4 hydraulic hoses fittings broke at the pump and needs to be replaced. After looking at the online seloc manual it is not clear exactly how the hose is removed from the pump. There is a retaining plate and 2 screws that need to be removed but I read on another post about someone removing the plate and the pump inside the housing dropping down inside the housing and making it unable to line up the screw holes again. In that post it said that the retaining plate did not have to be removed all the way but just loosened. After loosening the plate it looks like the hose fitting go directly into the pump without any type of screw fitting but i am not able to pull them out.
If anyone has replaced these or has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice
Re: volvo penta gxi dps-a trim hose replacement

Hi Don, thanks. I have the design 1 for sure. where I am confused is that I am unclear if it is just the retaining plate #2 that is holding the hoses in place or does the retainer #7 hold it in place or screw down into the pump. When I look at the pump the hose fitting goes right down into the hole in the pump and the retainer is deep down in there without being proud enough to "unscrew" I am wondering if you just remove the retainer plate then pull the hoses out. I was just concerned that I read in one post that if the retainer plate screws are backed out all the way the actual motor that is behind the housing can drop down just enough that the holes will not line up anymore and the retainer plate screws will not go in all the way. Thanks again for all the help. I know this shouldnt be as difficult as im making it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what you are looking at? I see no drawings of design 1 with and retainers numbered 2 and 7.

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure what you are looking at? I see no drawings of design 1 with and retainers numbered 2 and 7.

I clicked on the link you provided and went down to trim pump kits design 1 and clicked on that and the whole diagram came up. It spouse the hose kit and on the ends of the hose fitting it shows a o ring and retainer ring. It looks like these just fit down into the pump with the house fitting. so was wondering if its just the retaining plate that holds the hoses to the pump.
Also i'm sure some water got into the hydrolic fluid when the hose broke so will need to prime with fresh fluid what is the best way to do this thanks Joe

Don S

Yes, the retainer plate is all that holds them in. The seal kit is PN 3889431, not sure why they don't show the number there.
The kit has a seal ring and a brass washer, not sure if it comes with the hose kit or not.

Have no idea what the best way to flush one is, never had to flush one. Sorry

You can also get a long bolt when you take one of the retainer bolts (6) out and use it to hold he pump in place while you remove the other bolt. Then stick the short bolt back in to hold things together while you change the hoses.

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice

Well it ended up not being as hard as I thought. Was able to get the hose replaced and filled the pump with fluid. However when I tried to move the trim up and down to prime the pump the pump sounds like it is running but the outdrive does not move. I dont see any fluid leaking from the pump or hoses. Does this mean the pump motor is bad too? When it runs it sounds like it usually does, just the outdrive doesn't move up.

Don S

Did you look inside the boat for leaks?

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice

I do not see any leaks inside the boat, but what would a leak inside the boat be coming from since the trim pump and hoses are all outside under the outdrive. You mean leaking hydraulic fluid right?

Don S

If you was to remove that pump, you would be looking at a hole the size of the pump through the transom shield. You should be able to see the pump from inside the boat.