Trying to re-assemble Volvo SX lower unit....

gn85

Cadet
Hello all,

I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I'm careful to know my limits. I've done plenty of work on cars but boats are new to me.

Here's my problem/question. The dealership that I bought the boat from was replacing the seal on my prop shaft. Due to time constraints, I couldn't wait for them and brought the boat home. Now, I've found out that they damaged the bearing housing when they were removing it, so I ordered a new one. I have the seals and everything ready to install.

Now I'm trying to put everything back together, but I can't seem to find any information on how far to tighten down the housing. As I understand it, it needs to be put in the same 'depth' as it came out, but obviously, I don't know that measurement. I've searched on the internet, but haven't found any answer on doing this yourself.

Any shadetree answers? Or should I just take it to a mechanic?

Thanks.

gn85

Cadet
Re: Trying to re-assemble Volvo SX lower unit....

Oh.. I forgot to add. This is a 2004 5.0L V8 SX-M.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are no "Shade Tree" ways to do that job if you want it to last more than one trip. HERE is a link to the oem service manual. There is a section on the lower unit that explains how to set it properly if you don't know the depth.

gn85

Cadet

Thank you for the response and link. From what I've read, it appears that there are a few special tools needed. I doubt these are tools I can rent or borrow easily. Are there any ways around using these tools? I'm sure they're not cheap to buy.

If not, it looks like I'm heading to the mechanic.

Snkthomasson07

Recruit

Do this manual include the sx-c1 model

There are no "Shade Tree" ways to do that job if you want it to last more than one trip. HERE is a link to the oem service manual. There is a section on the lower unit that explains how to set it properly if you don't know the depth.