Volvo Penta 270 outdrive lock mechanisim will not release when trimming motor up.

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Volvo Penta 270 outdrive lock mechanisim will not release when trimming motor up. I have to manually unlock it. Trim motor works.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 270 outdrive lock mechanisim will not release when trimming motor up.

There is whats called a Thrust Sleeve the tilt mechanism pushes against that unlocks the drive before it pushes the drive up. What happens is the end of the thrust sleeve eventually breaks and cave in and no longer unlocks the drive. If you look on the port side of the upper gear box and the steering fork and helmet, you will see it, or should see it.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the thrust sleeve.

lockdown.jpg Thrustsleeve.jpg

Here is how you go about adjusting it.

View attachment ld adjust.pdf

etracer68

Ensign
Re: Volvo Penta 270 outdrive lock mechanisim will not release when trimming motor up.

My last boat, the part Don is refuring to was damaged, I made one out of stainless steel, and it worked fine. I have to say though it was a bit tricky getting the shaft back in, and ajusted right. Also you have tilt ONLY, no trim. The unit must be all the way down, when you apply power, or you will be pulling your wallet out for more parts.

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are right! The thrust sleeve was broken. I got a new one for about $40 but having a hard time replacing it. I am trying to remove the part # 50 on the above diagram to take out the rod. Any tips on replacing the thrust sleeve?

nic420

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Don. I was able to replace the thrust sleeve but in the process lost the part # 50 in the diagram above. I believe it is called a "shaft". It was flung by the springs when I tried prying the springs out. I should of held on to the "shaft" when prying tghe springs out. Please advise what is the part number? It's the one that holds the 2 springs. Need to order.