volvo penta 280 kicks in reverse

jsiracu

Cadet
My 280 kicks up in reverse, on trailer I shift into reverse and the jaws/teeth lock onto the lock rod. I pull the drive up by hand, only moves about an inch or two and is locked so tight not even my force can break it. the harder I pull the higher the teeth lock the rod. The whole reverse lock, actuator, springs, teeth purchased brand new and instaled by mechanic who still cant figure it out after 3 sea trials. It only kicks up in the water. The mechanic has given up. We even changed the plunger instlled a new one. This happens only in the water not on the trailer. This is the third year with the third mechnic and same problem. I am confirmimg the drive is completelyin the down position. Can anybody help me out?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: volvo penta 280 kicks in reverse

Try a search on this forum for your issue....its been discussed many many times. I also have a 280 and after adjusting the reverse lock mechanism exactly according to the manual it locks just fine.
If everything in the reverse lock has been replaced, something must be out of adjustment. I'm thinking the reason it pops in the water is the pressure from the drive in reverse is MUCh more than you can "pull" on it.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I tried uploading the manual for you but the file is too large. I believe its in the sticky's at the top of this forum. Kindly provided by Don S.

jsiracu

Cadet

I tried uploading the manual for you but the file is too large. I believe its in the sticky's at the top of this forum. Kindly provided by Don S.

Ok I will look for manual. Also does your 2450 list all to one side?

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no sir. Does your boat list unloaded? If all the weight is to one side it will list that way, adjust things to balance out. If you have trim tabs, adjusting them can balance things out.