Volvo winterize

max49

Recruit
My new Volvo book says to turn the engine over but don't start it after draining the plugs and disconnecting the hoses at the raw water pump. <br /> Does this damage the impeller?<br /> Also this engine has a flush attachment where you can put your garden hose. Any one ever just dump a gal of antifreeze in there for the winter for extra safety and lubrication?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo winterize

No, it doesn't hurt anything. There is enough water in the pump to prevent burning of the impeller. You are only turning the engine over a few revolutions in order to get the water out of the pump. Not enough time or rpm to cause any damage what-so-ever.<br />Go by the book and you will be fine.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

some boats i come across make it difficult to get at the pump or other locations. that being said ill use anti freeze for those areas.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

And, welcome to iboats, it doesn't get any better than this! :) ....JK

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what I do is to run the engine,fog it, shut it down, drain the block and manifolds then hook up a 5-8 gallon mixture of non-toxic anti-freeze and restart the motor. that way there is NO residual water anywhere. if it aint there it CANNOT freeze and the corrosion inhibitors help keep the rust down a bit.<br /> you can continue to fog while the mixture is going through the cooling system. be sure you have added fuel stabilizer and run the engine long enough to get the stabilized fuel throught the fuel system as well.

max49

Recruit

Thanks for help and suggestions. <br /> I'm still confused on that engine flusher attached to the engine where you can attach a garden hose. , do I run the engine while flushing there or leave it off? If I have it running, it seems the impeller would be running dry.<br /> I did find that when I flushed with the earmuffs , I had accidently left the cap off the flusher attachment, on the engine, no water was exiting until I put the cap on. <br /> The book is not any help on this except to say you can flush your engine here.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Contact your local Volvo Penta dealer, they can show you in a few minutes what will take hours or even days of explaining online, which may still be wrong.<br />Not knowing what engine and drive setup you have makes it totally impossible to give you any kind of useful and exact information.<br />What works for one engine/drive combo, won't work for the next.<br />Check JB's posts at the top of this section.