SX-MHP gimbal housing removal without removing engine?

shortonvt

Cadet
VP steering debacle 003.jpgVP steering debacle 001.jpgVP steering debacle 002.jpgThe saga continues. I removed entire drive assemblies down to the gimbal housings on my twin 2003 VP 5.7GXi DP-SM. I did this to access the steering spindle arms and associated bearings and o-rings which were both leaking water into the engine compartment. One spindle arm came off without a problem, one required heat, PB-Blaster, brute force, wedges, hammer, extreme leverage, and still didn't separate from the suspension fork. Unfortunately, my leverage attempts cracked the aluminum on either side of the top of the gimbal housing cover, which I believe is damaged beyond repair. I could probably make it water tight, but I don't think it could handle steering loads. So, the question is: Can I loosen the bolts on the inside transom bracket, leave it in place, and remove the outside gimbal housing, without removing the engine? Aside from needing to remove the gimbal housing to replace it, once I have the gimbal housing removed, I think I will be able to separate the steering spindle and the suspension fork. I have the Volvo Penta Workshop manual.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SX-MHP gimbal housing removal without removing engine?

Can I loosen the bolts on the inside transom bracket, leave it in place, and remove the outside gimbal housing, without removing the engine?

Nope. The inner transom plate that holds up the back of the engine is held in place with the studs that hold the transom shield in. You also have to remove the exhaust Y.

shortonvt

Cadet

Thanks Don. I suspected that. Do you think I could get enough room to remove the inner transom bracket by disconnecting the engine and lifting/shifting it forward rather than completely taking it out of the boat? I have a couple feet above and ahead of the engine to do this. Also, do you have a link to the ENGINE AND STERNDRIVE INSTALLATION MANUAL?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

shortonvt

Cadet

I think so. Just not sure what will need to be done so not sure how much room I need to do it. I'll have a couple feet of room, so I guess I'll give it a try. That's plenty of room to turn wrenches. Happen to know if there are differences in gimbal housings from SX to DP-S? I'm looking at used housings and there are plenty of SX but no DP-S. Thanks for the links.

spropst

Recruit
wondering if you ever determined the SX is the same for DP-SM? I have same issue now. thanks!

shortonvt

Cadet
The SX transom assembly was not an exact fit to all the bolt holes from my original, but with the exception of two holes everything fit perfectly. The only difference was the top two through-transom bolt holes that held the steering pivot cover in place. I filled them with JB-WELD, reattached everything, and it has operated flawlessly for the two seasons I've used it.