Volvo 5.0 tilt/trim issue

flye135

Cadet
My tilt/trim is driving me insane....I am getting no power to the motor, and both relays have been checked and they are good. It is a 2004 5.0 OSi-EF engine, can anyone tell me where the 50A circuit breaker on the engine is located, or if I even have one? If I do, I sure can't find it yet.

flye135

Cadet
Re: Volvo 5.0 tilt/trim issue

I have also checked all fuses and the are good as well.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't tell you where it is, but if you CLICK HERE you can type in your FULL model number or serial number, and download the owners manual directly from Volvo.
If that doesn't help, post a reply, you have another one of those E models that Volvo kind of forgot about.

flye135

Cadet

It comes up with an error everytime I search, but my serial number is 4012124665...can you help me out?

Don S

On good days that site is slow, right now it's showing nothing but error messages. Give it a couple of hours or check in the morning.

flye135

Cadet

Can't find anything in the owners manual...the only thing I can think of at this point is a bad ground somewhere, or a fuse that I haven't found yet. The manual did state something about an in-line 5 amp fuse under the throttle control, but I do not have that type of throttle control, so I'm pretty sure there isn't a fuse there. I checked the voltage yesterday at the trim relay, and I did have 12 volts at the trim down relay, but not at the trim up...and the relay on the trim down would still not click even though I had 12 volts. I'm stuck here...I guess I'm going to start checking grounds today after work.

flye135

Cadet

Does anyone happen to have the wiring diagram for this particular model?

Don S

Do the relays click when you operate the button? There is a fuse on the pump housing bracket, but that only puts power to the trim button to operate the relays. Might want to check out this thread for some troubleshooting help. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492684

flye135

Cadet

There is no audible clicking on either up or down, even though I have good voltage on the trim down relay. I tested the relays out of the boat and they both worked fine. I found one 10 amp fuse located on the back of the relay housing, but it was fine. I have checked all the wires and cannot find an in line fuse anywhere or anything else like that, but I feel like I may be missing a breaker or fuse somewhere.

Don S

If you have power on one relay, then you have a wiring problem. The whole trim system is powered from the main positive and ground to the trim pump.
Have you checked to make sure you have a good ground? Did you visit that link I posted above?

flye135

Cadet

I have not checked the ground yet, I will check that after work today. I did look at the other thread and last night I did step 2 of the troubleshooting process that you recommended. It have good voltage when the unit is trim down, but trim up reads no voltage in trim up between 87a and 30, and only 2 volts in trim up between 86 and 30. I must be a bad ground somewhere, now I just need to find where. I still have yet to find anything on the engine regarding trim other than the wiring harness...no breaker, fuse or anything.

flye135

Cadet

If I am getting good voltage on the trim down side, wouldn't the trim at least work if I was attempting to trim down and just not go up?

Don S

Did you follow the tests I outlined in the link?

If I am getting good voltage on the trim down side, wouldn't the trim at least work if I was attempting to trim down and just not go up?

Probably not. It's not like you have an up relay and a down relay. They are reversing relays, not simply one up, one down. It takes both relays working (under load) for the trim to work either direction.

flye135

Cadet

So this afternoon I went out and started chasing wires again. Decided to check the voltage where the motor plugs in to coming off the relay. When my wife hit the switch, it didn't do anything for a split second and then I got 12 volts AND heard the relay click ...checked the other side and got the same thing. So I figured "ok, I've got a bad motor, but I'll plug it in just to make sure." Plug it in and BAM, motor trims like the day it was built! I don't know what the heck I did and I ran it through alot and it worked like a champ...I guess I will keep working with it and see if I can find anything else.

Don S

Loose or corroded connections is what causes those types of problems.

jransom

Recruit

I have a 2004 Volvo Pents 5.0 GL and just started having problems with the 10 amp fuse blowing on the tilt/trim pump. I can raise and lower the trim while its on the trailer all day with no problems, but after some boating the fuse seems to pop. It just recently started doing this and I can't figure it out. I noticed the hot lead coming from the 50 amp circuit breaker was pretty close to the engine block so I secured it away from that, but didn't know if that would have anything to do with it. Thanks.

Don S

You need to start a new thread of your own so people can see your question. Instead of hid at the end of someone elses thread.