Fuel Pumps Are they Same?

floatit

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1997 Four Winns with a 5.7L Volvo Penta Motor in it. I have 2 Fuel Pumps on the motor. One on the front left side of the motor that has the Water Seperator Filter attached to the housing.

The Second Filter is on the top back of the motor same left side of the motor. The Pumps look identical minus the brackets.

I have been told the one in fron is a Low Pressure Pump and the one in back is a High Pressure Pump. Looking up the pumps on Iboats i only see one pump listed as a replacement for both.

How could one pump be a loq pressure and a high pressure pump at the same time? Are they actually the same part number for both?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Pumps Are they Same?

Not the same, the front one is a low pressure pump and the one on the VST is a high pressure pump.
You have to look up the parts using the proper FULL model number of your engine. It's not a hit and miss option.

floatit

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Don, thanks for the reply.

I have the following motor. Unless I'm searching wrong iboats parts only show one pump. Do you by chance know what the two different part numbers are, do you

For: 5.7GLPLKD

GUnshipgator

Cadet

I had to replace mine last year. The high and low pressure pumps, and fuel/water separater are one assembly, at least on mine. Volvo's pretty proud of them, too. best price I found on line was About $640. Dealer had them for over $800. If either one is going bad, it will usually have a whine to it while running. The good news is it takes only about 15 minutes to change out. Hope this helps.

floatit

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah I have two one connected to the fuel separator and the other on top back of the motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would love to see a picture of these 2 pumps. If yours is a carbed engine(is it?), it should only have 1.

Don S

With a model number of 5.7GLPLKD you have a carbed engine and only 1 fuel pump. Low pressure. You would have to have a fuel injected engine (TBI) to have two pumps. If you do have 2 pumps, then you need to post a picture of your engine. Because it is not carbed.

floatit

Seaman Apprentice

Here is an exact diagram of my Fuel system. I difinetly have a MPI system and not a Carbuerator. According to the stickers that were on the engine that is model i have.

Fuel Pump Diagram.jpg

Don S

I difinetly have a MPI system and not a Carbuerator.

No, you have a TBI (Throttle Body Injection) system, not MPI (Multi Port Injection)

You need to check your model number then, see of it says Gi instead of GL without the i in there somewhere, the model number says carbed.

Have a look at page two of this service bulletin.

View attachment Volvo Engine ID.pdf

floatit

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, once again you are correct, it is a TBI. I will see if it is a GI or GL.

No, you have a TBI (Throttle Body Injection) system, not MPI (Multi Port Injection)

You need to check your model number then, see of it says Gi instead of GL without the i in there somewhere, the model number says carbed.

Have a look at page two of this service bulletin.

View attachment 141395