Square Digital trim gauge issue p/n 828731-0

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a square digital trim gauge (P/N 828731-0) on my boat that is giving me trouble. I have tested the sending unit using a post from ladies, and the sending unit works like it should. I cannot get the digital gauge to show anything other than -88, and it only shows that for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the display goes blank. I can turn the key off and back on and the display come back. I have testing the power coming into the gauge and all leads stay constant. Does anyone know a way of testing the digital gauge or does it just sound like a bad gauge? I have also tested the ohms for the sending unit at the gauge and they are reading correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Square Digital trim gauge issue p/n 828731-0

If the gauge is going blank after 30 seconds and you still have good power and ground. You need a new gauge. There is no testing information.

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a feeling the gauge was bad. I was just hoping for some kind of test. Those digital gauges are not cheap. Thanks for the reply.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those digital gauges are not cheap.

Which is why most people learn how to use the trim by feel of the boat and not worry about the gauge.

tompowers85

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what I have had to do the last few years, and with the price of a new digital gauge, I am going to stick with the feel of the boat. Thanks.