volvo penta (chevy 350) won't start/very weak spark

polarbear06

Recruit
I can't get my engine started and it seems to be a spark issue. I already replaced the plugs and plug wires. i removed the wire from the coil to the distributer and installed a spark plug on it. Turning the engine over, there was a spark across the plug but it was very weak. I figured, new coil. Well, new coil, same results. Checking the voltage from the battery to the positive terminal on the coil shows 12.3 volts with the ignition off. Turning the ignition on (not cranking it) caused the voltage to drop to 1.3 volts. Checking the voltage across the coil showed 6.3 volts with the ignition on, dropping to 3 volts when you crank it. Anyone got any ideas where I should go next?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta (chevy 350) won't start/very weak spark

Volvo has been using 350 Chevies since the 70's, and with many different ignition systems Do you have the full model or serial number for the engine?

polarbear06

Recruit

Volvo has been using 350 Chevies since the 70's, and with many different ignition systems Do you have the full model or serial number for the engine?

GM 3970010. Thanks for the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

GM 3970010. Thanks for the help.

That may be a GM block casting number, but I need to know what engine and drive you have. VOLVO model numbers and/or VOLVO serial numbers. Or post some pictures.

Here are some model numbers, any of them look familiar?

attachment.php

Attachments

• 350.jpg
    350.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0

polarbear06

Recruit

I can't seem to find the VP number. No AQ's anywhere I see. Any idea where I should look?

I can tell you this, the starter is mounted on the right side of engine under the exhaust manifold (pain in the butt to get to). It has a standard electronic ignition coil on top (looks like a soda can with 2 studs and a plug wire hole in the middle). The distributer has a female style 8 cylinder distributer cap. I'm not sure if that helps or not but that's what I'm looking at.

polarbear06

Recruit

Based on what I'm getting for voltage readings at the coil and looking at my Seloc manaul I think I have it narrowed down to the ignition module or a bad ground in the distributor. As I understand it, a bad distributor ground is unlikely. Also, i have no idea how to test that. So....can anyone tell me how to test my distributor ground?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

should be a tag just above the starter on the block.