Volvo 3.0GS pushed freeze plug on exhaust manifold

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
ahoi ! today i found a pushed freeze plug on the exhaust manifold on our 3.0GS engine. i winterized the boat , but relativly late and maybe one or two nights below freezing level passed by- thats at least my guess since the plug loooked good and whatelse than freezing should forced it to fell out.

i looked very carefully with a flashlight the whole engine block as well the manifold and found no cracks on it, also no water in the oil.

since thats alone not a guarantee for internal cracks to check for sure you have to run the engine on muffs and see. so my plan is to just hammer in the freeze plug again , crank dry the engine without spark plugs to check if there is water in the cylinders and run it . what do you think ?

can i just hammer in a pushed freeze plug , will it hold when pushed out once? ? when the engine runs good and no water in the oil, can i assume i had luck ?

cheers !

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 3.0GS pushed freeze plug on exhaust manifold

You need a new core plug. You can run it on muffs to look for big leaks, but it may take full flow from the raw water pump and a warmed up engine to find some leaks.

Bondo

Staff member

ahoi ! today i found a pushed freeze plug on the exhaust manifold on our 3.0GS engine. i winterized the boat , but relativly late and maybe one or two nights below freezing level passed by- thats at least my guess since the plug loooked good and whatelse than freezing should forced it to fell out.

i looked very carefully with a flashlight the whole engine block as well the manifold and found no cracks on it, also no water in the oil.

since thats alone not a guarantee for internal cracks to check for sure you have to run the engine on muffs and see. so my plan is to just hammer in the freeze plug again , crank dry the engine without spark plugs to check if there is water in the cylinders and run it . what do you think ?

can i just hammer in a pushed freeze plug , will it hold when pushed out once? ? when the engine runs good and no water in the oil, can i assume i had luck ?

cheers !

Ayuh,.... How'd ya winterize it,..?? Obviously, not by Drainin' it....

If the core plug was there, 'n Alright when ya Winterized it,....
Yer winterization was Faulty, 'n it froze After ya did it....

While ya might get the old core plug to hold, I'd just buy a new 1, 'n install it...
They do get tweaked when installin', 'n get even more tweaked when frozen, 'n pushed out...

aerobat

ahoi ! well- i drained it , but i remeber i wondered why no water comes out of the manifold. i guess it happend last year because i winterized late, like said after some days where it was already cold. i will install a new plug an we will see !

you cannot say it- but whats your quess? just the plug or is the manifold gone ? of course i do not hope the block is toast :facepalm:

aerobat

ok... i tried to restart the engine and it flushed water both from the manifold as well the thermostat housing, so i expect the worst.

i removed the thermostat housing and its cracked , i also removed the manifold and found that it pushed both core plugs and not one- i overlooked the second one. after a very careful search i do not find any cracks in the manifold or the block- also in the not visible areas where the manifold is installed. i think i will have to buy new gaskets, new core plugs, a new thermostat housing , put it together and see if its not leaking, also look if the oil stays water free. the damn thing is that you may invest money just to find out the block or the head is gone...

i must say i,m sceptic ... :(