Volvo Penta Steering Helmet Bushings

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
while the motor is out, I removed the steering helmet because the bushings had a bit of play.

removal was easy.

a few questions.

following the image/partslist
http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/image/view/7/6/9265_1.png

Items 2, 3, and 14 are what is needed. Item 2 was p/n 853863 and is now replaced by qty 2 of 872362, and Item 3 was p/n 853864 and is now replaced by qty 2 of 872363. However only 1 each is currently in stock.

since the boat will be going back together next weekend, does anyone have the material and dimensions of the bushings and I will machine a few?

if not, does anyone have an alternative source?

regarding removal, it appears that the old bushings should be removed by driving upward, and the new bushings installed in the same manor. does anyone have the dimensions of the bushing removal/install tool so I can make one tomorrow?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta Steering Helmet Bushings

Scott, those are steering fork or collar steering fork bushings.
#14 is the V-ring seal that fits onto the fork shaft.

Your transom shield requires the bushings have a small bump in the OD to prevent them from spinning in the bores.
It might be pretty hard to make these with the bump in them.

The bushings both install from within the opening where the spindle arm fits.
Lower bushing is removed by pushing it upward. Upper bushing is removed by pushing it downward.
Larger bushing at the bottom.

You say that only 1 each is in stock. Do you need more than for one drive?

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I am just going off of what the volvo penta store lists. Item 2 was p/n 853863 and is now replaced by qty 2 of 872362, and Item 3 was p/n 853864 and is now replaced by qty 2 of 872363. so when I add to cart, it puts quantity of 2, then gives an error that only 1 each are available.

so if 2 of each part number are truly required, then I have an issue on parts availability.

captmello

Captain

When I can't get parts I need from iboats, I usually have good luck with theses guys.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/

edit, on iboats, it looks like you can adjust the quantity once you add it to your shopping cart. Worked for me anyway...

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Thanks captmello, order placed. I will be documenting the bushings when they get here, and most likely machining a few sets for the future.