Volvo 1996 help identifying part

RickKennedy

Recruit
Does anybody know what this is?

Also, does anybody know where to find an engine schematic?

Attachments

• IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo 1996 help identifying part

Ayuh,.... Where'd ya find it,..??

It appears to be a water temp switch, probably for an overheat alarm....

C17fly

Cadet

I agree, it looks like the water temperature sending unit. Does it smell like anti-freeze (assuming it was recently removed and the engine had anti-freeze in it)?

cobalt252

Seaman

Agree, looks like a water temperature sensor ... however the Volvo Penta version typically have a stud in the center, like this. Note that the wire connector is insulated from the case by a bakelite ring (synthetic phenol that is electrically non-conductive and heat-resistant):

vp3852029.jpg

The unit you are showing is more than likely an automotive part - two connector tabs give it away. While it may work, it is not calibrated the same as the marine sensor. When it comes to monitoring the water temperature on your engine, don't try to save a few dollars, go with OEM marine components.

Also, DO NOT wrap any teflon tape around the threads! This will insulate the case from making a proper ground with the engine block and your gauge will not operate correctly.

Jidge1

Recruit

It is a temp sensor. I have the same one in my 96 Chap 2330. I pull that and another plug from the bottom of my manifolds when I winterize. I believe the sensor is on the stern side. That may have been one that was replaced or look for the hole and dangling wire.
Good Luck

Jidge1

Recruit

It is a temp sensor. I have the same one in my 96 Chap 2330. I pull that and another plug from the bottom of my manifolds when I winterize. I believe the sensor is on the stern side. That may have been one that was replaced or look for the hole and dangling wire.
Good Luck

I tried to edit my original post but it wouldn't let me save. I wanted to change manifolds to engine block. A mirror will help to find the holes underneath. They're in the bottom ,center of the block right under the manifold.

cobalt252

Seaman

Jidge1: don't mean to contradict you, but temp sensor are typically located at, or near the thermostat and the engine's manifold.

The sensor you are talking about may be a knock sensors because of their location (bottom center on the engine block). They should look quite different ...

Do you have a picture?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The picture shown by the original poster is a Temperature SWITCH.

Since it has to terminals, it is NOT an OEM part.

Typically they are installed in the thermostat housing or the intake right next to the Tstat housing not on the side of the block under the manifolds.

Since it's aftermarket, who knows what the installer was doing.

Jidge1

Recruit

My 96 5.7 Gi has two block drains,one on each side right under the manifolds. The one on the stern side has a plug I pull off to unscrew the plug. I assume its sensing temp and not pressure or it would have a hole in the end. My boat is in NH so I can't take a pic of the plug. The first post pic looks like the plug I pull. Maybe mine only has one tab, I don't recall. Either way I think RickKennedy could look in this area to make sure theres something in the block drain holes.
Just a thought

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 96 5.7 Gi has two block drains,one on each side right under the manifolds. The one on the stern side has a plug I pull off to unscrew the plug. I assume its sensing temp and not pressure or it would have a hole in the end. My boat is in NH so I can't take a pic of the plug. The first post pic looks like the plug I pull. Maybe mine only has one tab, I don't recall. Either way I think RickKennedy could look in this area to make sure theres something in the block drain holes.
Just a thought

This DOES NOT look like a drain plug.

attachment.php

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0