Volvo sx (95) outdrive long throttle to engage gearing.

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've to the OMC 5.0 with a Volvo sx outdrive. I recently did all maintainance in the drive and don't like my shifting at the throttle. Both gears (reverse and forward) take a little bit more travel on the throttle than I expect. It is almost to the point in both directions that I'm about to increase the rpm's when it shifts into gear. Is this normal or is my shift cable maybe worn? I was thinking about putting in a stainless bolt/nut on both ends of the enlongated holes to lower the amount of travel needed for the shifting. Any advice?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo sx (95) outdrive long throttle to engage gearing.

Could be the cable, could be the control, could also be the drive.
If you disconnect the cable where it hooks to the drive, does it shift ok when you turn the shift mechanism by hand?

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo sx (95) outdrive long throttle to engage gearing.

You know, I never tried to troubleshoot it because it was all back together. I remember that the shift levers did engage/disengage easily when moved by hand when the cable was disconnected. I had two shot grommets for the cable so maybe it developed play? The back bolt is holding it strong to the casing. I noticed the throttle controls shift position changes so I'll have to disconnect it and see if it is in the controls, cable, or drive. Thanks!