My Volvo AQ151B Points are Burning Up!

mdrettma

Recruit
Please help. What would be causing my points to burn up on my 1988 Volvo 4cy.gas I/O AQ151B. <br /><br />It was running, died, checked for spark, no spark, points looked burned out, replaced with old points, wire melted on points to condenser. Replaced condenser, points, distrib. cap, rotor, and points burned up again within 5 minutes. What could cause this? Bad coil, alternator, ground? Coil primary and secondary tests indicated it was ok.

elpaso

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My Volvo AQ151B Points are Burning Up!

Problem appears to be high voltage - is there a “resistor” in ignition circuit?<br />There has to be, or points burn up quickly. <br />Do you have a manual? Do you have a ignition wiring diagram? <br />If not - I may - or - some one will. <br />Any information prior to problem will help.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hi Sun Runner, welcome to iboats!!<br /><br /> * "wire melted on the points to condenser" *<br /><br />Disconect the battery and take the boat to a shop, you've got a serious problem in the ignition circuit.<br /><br />COULD be, bad coil, bad ballast resistor, short somewhere........................<br /><br />Aldo

mdrettma

Recruit

Thanks for the reponses. <br /><br />Follow up prior information/history. I do have a the Volvo manual and wire diagram and I'll reference it to see if there's any way to test the resistor, etc. <br /><br />Well, there's alot of recent history for this problem, which deals with another issue. My cousin took the boat out sking and noticed the top speed was reduced more than normal (25mph vs. normally 35mph wide open), then engine dieseled/chugged a little when shut off (which usually indicates timing issues), then the other issue happened, which is the stern drive (290) popped out of gear at higher rpms-i.e., propeller stopped turning, and the rpms reved up (because no longer in gear).<br /><br />Then I took it out to see what was happening, it idled great, but when I put it into gear and accelerated the engine ran pretty bad and would try to quit. Motoring and slow speeds it ran ok, but as soon as I increased the speed/rpms it ran bad and then the stern drive popped out of gear, causing the rpms to rev up. What could cause the stern drive to pop out of gear? Improper shift linkage?<br /><br />Anyways, as far as the engine and points. We had replaced the throttle cable and may have wiggled some wires in doing so. We zip tied the wires differently than they had been. We then started the engine to adjust the throttle cable, it ran for a few minutes and then quit. That's when we checked for spark (none) and noticed the point pads looked burned out. We replaced the points with an old one and the wire between the points and the condenser smoked and melted after turning over the engine for <1minute.<br /><br />We've had an instance or two when the engine wouldn't start at all and we wiggled the wires near the engine and then it would turn over and start. But this only happened once or twice, but would indicate a faulty wire/short.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Sun Runner:<br /> <br /> We had replaced the throttle cable and may have wiggled some wires in doing so. We zip tied the wires differently than they had been............ the wire between the points and the condenser smoked and melted after turning over the engine for <1minute.............wouldn't start at all and we wiggled the wires near the engine and then it would turn over and start.
Please, disconnect the batt. <br /><br />You can perform OHM tests on the circuits without the need for battery voltage.<br /><br />Aldo

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Did you disconect any wires? If the coil has an external resistor, sound like you have the wires crossed between the start and run mode. fred

mdrettma

Recruit

Nope, didn't disconnect any wires (not on purpose anyways).

tommays

Admiral

Dunaruna<br /><br />is trying to get you to unhook the battery due to the risk of fire caused buy burning wires<br /><br />tommays

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds to me like you may have screwed up the ESA adjustment when you replaced the shift cable. Now, as you accelerate the ESA engages. I am pretty sure the Volvo uses a similar ESA to my 88 Cobra.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by tommays:<br /> Dunaruna<br /><br />is trying to get you to unhook the battery due to the risk of fire caused buy burning wires<br /><br />tommays
Y E S <br /><br />I don't know what is causing this problem, but the likelyhood is - there's a short or the alt has lost the plot.<br /><br />A MELTED wire is a compelling warning sign. Plenty of tests can be done safely.<br /><br />Do you not agree, Tommays?<br /><br />Aldo

tommays

Admiral

aldo<br /><br />when my machinery melts the insualtion on land or sea i usally find it best to pull the plug<br /><br />once you have that level of short it should be fairly easy to track down ,your well past the saftey point<br /><br />tommays