Distributor Cap Information please? Volvo Penta AQ225e

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First time here<br /> <br />I have a big Orange V8 with Volvo Penta 225e stickers on it, in a 1986 Bayliner Capri 21' open bow boat.<br /> <br />I let a neighbor/friend/lower level mechanic help me do a tune up to the motor, ie: changed belt, plugs, cap and rotor, pumped out oil, new oil filter and oil and an inline fuel filter (the little one going straight into the carb) However, we kind of both agreed the wires were cool for now. Did not change them.<br /> <br />Cranked up first turn of the key, sounded great at idle. Revved engine had a little popping, thought it was just junk burning and going out the exhaust, thought nothing of it. <br /> <br />Took the boat out to Lake Lanier 4th of july , launched it fired up right away. Everything seemed cool, she parked the truck, got in, we took off.<br /> <br />After slow no wake bouy, i hit the juice, it started popping real bad, Let off it would be good again, put it in nutural and revved it up then the same sound when i was at home, popping noise,it was. Took her back in at slow idle, went back to the drawing board.<br /> <br />So after reading all of you guys long messages, I figured out that, i had to make sure he put the wires back on the cap right. Found the firing order, every thing seems to be right according to the seloc manual specs and on the engine itself. But after I find out where number 1 post is correctly supposed to be, i will need to know how to tell if the wires on the cap -firing order run clockwise or counterclockwise?. So that i may better check his work. <br /><br />Will someone have this info available, is there someone i need to call to get this info?. Because I know my problem has to be simple. The wires on the cap seem to be in order according to the firing order, hes got them going clockwise at the moment though, i hope thats right. If you look at the engine from front where the belt is. Im thinking it goes clockwise too and he might just have been one post off when he started to run the wires,if thats possible. But i would rather do this right the first time and ask a pro, so please tell me for sure if anyone knows if the wires firing order on the cap run clockwise or counterclockwise?. so i can check this myself ? Will really appreciate it. Im so close i know, i know , i can feel it. <br /><br /><br />thanks very much, :confused: <br /><br /><br />ps: The replacement parts came from Napa, and i even got to look in the book so i feel real confident they gave me the cap, and rotor, that was right for that engine. <br /><br />86bayliner

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Distributor Cap Information please? Volvo Penta AQ225e

Simple answer: <br />Lift the distributor cap and bump it over on the starter. I'm sure it is clockwise looking down onto the rotor.<br />Set the engine to TDC on COMPRESSION Stroke and then ID the post on the dist cap. <br />The rest is easy just replace the wires into the correct firing order.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I bet you had a shiny piece of metal in the shape of a "C" left over after you replaced the points didn't you. That piece of metal is a spring that is needed to open and close the points. Without it, you only have the brass electrical strip acting as a spring, it works fine till you get to around 1500 rpm. Then the points start floating and the engine starts missfiring a lot.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the info Don and peterf , I wasnt exactly honed in when he did the cap change over, so im not sure about the "C" made of metal. Will be looking at it in the next couple of minutes. Hoping thats the prob Don. He held the new one up next to the old one pulled wires off one by one and transferred them to the new everything is going clockwise around the cap as of now in proer firing order, I had originally thought he might have started the run of wires ,off by one post, but i am glad you told me that Don. Im going to investigate ,should have an answer for you real quick on what happened. <br /><br />Thank you very much for that so quick answer, i just may get to enjoy my boat today after all if thats the prob :cool: you guys are great, keep it up. Couldnt do it without you.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im going to unscrew the screws and pop the cap off and tell you what i see. Because im not exactly sure of what it is supposed to look like under there. but didnt see anything left over that night Don, i think i would remember. Really I am very greatful of this help<br />---------------------------------<br />86 bayliner

Bondo

Staff member

Due to the fact that it Runs Fine, at idle,+ the lower RPMs,........<br /><br />I'd be looking at the Fuel Delivery System......<br /><br />I think your Spark is Fine,+ it's going Lean at higher RPMs.................<br /><br />BTW,...... There is No right spot for the #1 terminal on the dist. cap,.......<br />It's Wherever the rotor is pointed at TDC,#1...,...

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok heres the deal. I pulled away the cap. Looked inside the cap itself, found a little condensation on the upper inner of the cap , hope thats not to bad.<br />I Found no "C" or spring on rotor, just plane black rotor with metal strip contact, snaps on and off the distributor. that simple , Is it possible I am missing these pcs.? <br />Argh , thank you.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

forgot to ask if i have to find the number one post on the cap, How do i roll the engine over without the key, or do i need to do it with to be able to find TDC for number 1<br />===================================================<br />BTW,...... There is No right spot for the #1 terminal on the dist. cap,.......<br />It's Wherever the rotor is pointed at TDC,#1...,...<br />--------------------------------------------------<br />Question wouldnt TDC of #1 which makes the rotor point to #1 indicate a "right spot" post to plug the #1 wire into? Thnk you for your help too Bondo<br />I'll start trying to keep threads, a little more to the point now. thnks again

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The popp popp popp sounded like it was even coming from the cap, The boat ran better before we did the work, even with the obnoxious squeel the old belt gave off. Still left with popp popp popp from the cap. Boat used to run about "40mph top's," sounded great. Now, the more you accelerate, the more it sounds likes it wants to blow the cap off. <br /><br />Say is the cap supposed to have a gasket?

Bondo

Staff member

Question wouldnt TDC of #1 which makes the rotor point to #1 indicate a "right spot" post to plug the #1 wire into? Thnk you for your help too Bondo
Ayuh,........<br /><br />Pull All the Plugs,.........<br />Rotate the engine to where #1 is TDC on the Compression stroke,.......(Use a Wrench on any convinent bolt on the crankshaft or whatever)<br />Wherever the Rotor is pointing At That Time,... IS the #1 terminal on the cap........<br />Then the Firing Order goes from that terminal........<br /><br />It Sounds like you've got the wires Really Messed Up..........<br /><br />BTW,..... The little spring clip is a part of the Points,..... Not the Rotor.......

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

-----------------------------------------------------<br />"The little spring clip is a part of the Points"<br />-----------------------------------------------------<br />are the little metal contacts inside the cap the points? When you guys say points, thats what im thinking, im such a newb. where are the points located. because all we did was replace the cap and the little rotor set it back down, and there was only one way to pop the rotor back down. so all is well with that. i think<br /><br />thanks Bondo , im gonna try taking the plug out and rolling it over till i get tdc, and go from there<br /><br />86bayliner <br />Norcross, GA

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In your 1st post you said you had a Seloc manual for you boat.I don'nt have that manual but it should at least show ya the distributor and some sort of parts list----go to that section of book and identify points-condenser--then it will be easier for ya to set point gap and dwell.need help let us know.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ill look at it love thanks<br /> <br />ok, im gonna go through the book for the point s and condenser, see what it says. <br /><br />I do believe i found TDC #1. what side of the rotor points to the #1 post on the cap , are we looking at the squared end or the round end to determine #1 post position on cap. ?? <br /><br />If squared end then its pointing at #1 already. I believe i found tdc on #1 cylinder correctly. <br /><br />ummm.... Decided for giggles to put the old cap back on--made no difference's. So i guess its not the cap. <br /><br />thanks for all of your replies.<br /><br />I think im getting there, so close but no cigar.<br /><br />86 bayliner<br />Norcross Ga

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok while i was outside studying the cap, and rotor.<br />my shady tree mechanic from across the street walked over and studied the problem too. He wanted me to ask you guys, because he thinks, because i have what sounds like a lifter tinging at all levels of throttle on number #5 or #7 that was being heard before and after the tune up.<br /><br />He thinks when we did all the work, that could have made a valve stick open. And it could be just bad timing for the valve. crazy this popping sound only started after we did the work.<br /><br />CAN IT BE A LIFTER? that somehow made a valve stick. Can a valve sticking cause this Popping at high Rpm. <br />If tha was the case , Is their anyway i can get a sticky valve to open up and work?. Jeeeez............<br /><br /><br />86 bayliner<br />Norcross, GA

Don S

Chevy engines run with ticking lifters all the time without problems.<br />Did you set the point dwell when you guys did your "Tuneup"? Did you check the timing and reset it. Timing changes with changes of dwell.<br />Did you check your advance timing?<br />What happens to the dwell when you rev the engine to 1000 rpm in neutral? Then 2000 rpm, and at 3000 rpm.<br />Did you replace the cap, rotor, condenser, and spark plugs? Did you gap the plugs properly?<br /><br />Also check the oil level. If it's over full you could be aireating the oil which will cause the lifters to be noisy and collaps at higher rpm.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey Don S. man you know so much.<br /><br />umm , Could the oil level if over full, cause it to pop??

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just replaced plugs, cap, rotor and the little inline filter at the carb, the belt, the oil change and filter. That was it.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok Im ashamed to admit that i did have some extra oil in the engine, pumped almost a quart to get the result a tad below the F mark on the dipstick , <br /><br />Cranked it up for a few , gave it a little throttle, hoping that quart i sucked out would fix the problem .Only ran it for about 3 minutes is that too short. The popping wasnt quiting either. <br /><br />Hey If I check my lottery tickets and their winners, I'll be sure to ask where to mail the check?<br /><br />Thank you, <br /><br />hopeful 86 bayliner

Don S

You also need the new points, and condenser. Plus, they have to be set properly to work.<br />A boats engine isn't as forgiving as a car. So make sure the dwell and the timing are all within spec, or don't expect it to work.<br />You may also need a compression check. Leaky valves could cause the popping also.

86bayliner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will do that Don.<br /><br />Ok so will the compression check results tell me if the valves are leaky? And if the valve is leaky, I guess that would have to be for a new thread, huh.?<br /><br /><br />thanks<br />hopeful Bayliner