volvo penta 280 power tilt problem

dude392

Recruit
Hello I have a 1980 volvo penta 280 stern drive. On my last run to the lake the power tilt would not unlatch or raise my out drive. It appears that where the shaft of the electric motor comes out of the transom plate normally pushes on the suspension fork to raise the out drive. I believe this is the piece that broken but I cannot seem to find anywhere that discusses how the shaft connects to the fork or what that piece is called. Can anyone help me understand how this connects or what pieces I need to replace to make this work? I think I may need a new suspension fork sense it appears that a piece of metal has been sheered off. Thank you in advance for your help

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo penta 280 power tilt problem

If you could provide pictures that would be something that alot of people would like and welcome to iboats. i have a similar drive and the people have been extremely helpful here for every step so good luck.

dude392

Recruit

0116121304.jpg
here this is a picture looking at the outdrive where the rod normally comes down and puches

Attachments

• 0116121304.jpg
    0116121304.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

oh boy.. what is that white foamy stuff... from the picture its a tad dark but i cannot see the Shaft of the Tilt Motor... i am wondering if the foot of the tilt motor shaft fell off... i would let some other people who have done alot more than i have on mine to chime in.. but it looks like to me your in for some disassembly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you look at my picture below, what happens, is when you trim the drive up, the trim motor and screw (1) pushes on the drive at point B to raise the drive.
What may have happened is the "sleeve" (item 2) usually gets a worn out or corroded off end that sticks up above surface B and when (1) comes down, it pushes the linkage (3) down and unlocks the mechanism. Well, that's it in a nutshell. Here is a link to the manual http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html that explains it fully. Look on page 127 of the manual.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Latch.jpg
    Latch.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

That is one of the geniouses i was talking about chiming in... get to know him.. hes one of the smart ones when it comes to volvos! and thats not exhadurating

dude392

Recruit

Thank you both very much for your input. So I know now what happened. The metal pin that sticks up from the surface of B broke off, I tried to raise my outdrive and since it wouldn't unlatch the shaft coming out of '1' was putting pressure on the suspension yolk. I drove around not thinking about it which caused whatever piece that is attached to '1' to break off.

The link to the manual you sent me shows the final piece of the power tilt assembly to be a washer. Is this the actual piece that is supposed to press against the suspension yolk? I realize I will have to disassemble at this point and probably get a new suspension yolk, but I also need to figure out what pieces I need for side '1' on the shaft. I can't seem to find what the final piece is, and when I look at power tilt assemblies they usually just have the shaft coming out.

power tilt.jpg

Thank you again

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

what your looking for is most likely the Pressure Plate...
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mech...*****.426356748--store_id.366--view_id.771405
this shows a break down of the Lift Device for the AQ280 outdrive, you can use Volvopentastore.com as a very cool resource for helping you out when ordering parts for your engine or outdrive...
You can use volvopentastore.com as a store or as a reference point, where i get part numbers than i just google Volvo ##### and the part number and i find the best pricing that way..
Don will chime in to confirm this is what you most likely need...
Like i said i am sort of new to these volvo engines as well... but i am learning along the way and trying to contribute as much useful information as i can...

captmello

Captain

Heres what it should look like from behind the boat. You can see the thrust sleeve poking up through the suspention fork and you can see the foot of the tilt mechanism.

Thrustsleeve.jpg

You can see how my suspension fork was damaged. I had my local prop shop fix it a couple years back.

outdrivetiltarm.jpg

here is the repaired product

retainingpawl2003.jpg

The thrust sleeve is theaded and simply screws onto the top of the linkage coming from the retaining pawl. When I first go my boat it was broken off. I was able to unscrew the remailing portion of the old sleeve and install a new one without dismantling the outdrive.

Hope this helps a bit. Welcome to iboats, btw.

Hope you can see the pics, Its been a while since i posted pics...

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Your pictures work perfectly.. nice job on the propshop repair. they are awesome from what ive heard...