4.3l volvo rebuild questions

dmessenger84

Cadet
So I bought a 99 larson 186 glx that came with a cracked block which is a 4.3l gl. I recently bought another block to replace the cracked one. My plan is to take most all of the internals out of the bad motor and put them into the other block which I should add is a 4.3 out of a truck that had 180k on it. Im planning on having it bored. 040 over as that is what the pistons were in the original block. Which brings me to the next point. I wasn't a stock engine and from the looks it had very few hours. Is there anything that I should really be looking for during assembly or while stripping them down. All I plan on doing is buying a re-ring kit after I get thblockk work done. Ths in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3l volvo rebuild questions

Ayuh,... Is yer replacement block of the Exact same vintage,..??
There's been a BaZillion changes through out the life of the 4.3l motors...

Personally, it sounds like yer doin' a bubblegum rebuild...
Fitment of engine pieces is a very exacting science...
At the very least, you should be replacing the rings, bearing, 'n gaskets...
But,...
Til things are torn down, cleaned, inspected, 'n Measured, ya just don't know what's needed, 'n what ain't...

dmessenger84

Cadet

My plan is replace all the bearings from top to bottom along with new oil pump, rings, cam, balance shaft and all the gaskets. Basically what im really not sure of os whether or not I can use the crank out of the bad block as its in great condition also I want to use the pistons that came out pf the bad block

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's your $$$ Good luck

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As long as you have the correct type block and the other components are in good shape you will be fine. As to your ability to reassemble the engine...only you know that. It shouldn't cost that much to have the shop that bores & hones the replacement block reassemble it.

Here is a link to tell some of the differences over the years..
good luck!

http://hotsixes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=12

Bondo

Staff member

Basically what im really not sure of os whether or not I can use the crank out of the bad block as its in great condition also I want to use the pistons that came out pf the bad block

Ayuh,... That can't be answered til ya mic up All the pieces, 'n see if their all compatible...

Why are ya changin' the balance shaft,..??

dmessenger84

Cadet

The only reason I would change the balance shaft is because the kit that I found comes with it and from what I understand you have to change it out in order to replace the bearing that's on the front of it.