Volvo Penta TILT Black relay box is loose or is missing a mounting part.

ARTIZAN

Seaman
Hi,

I have a Volvo Penta 125 or 130 (NI'm not sure which at the moment, I just got the boat). The Black relay box on top of the tilt shaft is loose or is missing a mounting part. It was this way when I got the boat. I noticed it because it only goes up, not down. I was going to buy a used box because I was assuming that there was a part missing. The box won't stay on the shaft so the limit switch is not doing what it's supposed to do which is to stop the drive from going down too far. The shaft lifts the box off of the shaft housing when the drove is all the way down.

So my question is, What holds the black box down on the end of the shaft housing?

Thanks,

Arthur.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo Penta TILT Black relay box is loose or is missing a mounting part.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mechanical-Lift-Device-Aq-Drive-Unit-280-Mo-Xxxx-180264-850381/dm/*******.200333886--**********.064844929--store_id.366--view_id.784471

#29 in the link are the two bolts that run through the box and the washer and nut on the bottom hold the box in place. The box should only be tightened down enough to keep it from moving up and down. It will still spin on top of the tilt assembly. Should be an easy fix at the hardware store.

ARTIZAN

Seaman

Hi Commander,

Thanks for the info. I will try that when I get back to working on that boat. I will post the results.

Arthur.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

If the switch was working, and the box was loose, the drive should go DOWN.
Try this.
Remove the box if the wiring harness is long enough.
Meaning slip it off the top, making sure you hold the top and bottom together, if some screws are missing, it could come apart.
Once off the top of the mechanisim, reach up inside with a needle nose pliers and gently pull the button down.
Listen for a faint click.

Could be the microswitch is hung up.

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine is held in with two #10 screws. I used nylock nuts on the bottom where they engage a groove on the shaft and secures it

ARTIZAN

Seaman

Yes, very interesting. I will have to look at it and how it mounts a bit more carefully.

Now, about the switch operation. As I remember, my bot only works when I push the switch up, the drive goes up. I can reverse the wires at the motor to make it go down (pushing the setch up). The box is loose so I keep the engine cover off while pushing the switch up to make the drive go down (wires reversed) and keep my eye on the box, when the box rises, I release the switch. If the box were tight, the limit switch should stop the drive in the proper down position. So... if the limit switch is stuck in, the drive would not go down. This takes all the presure off. I hope my limit switch is stuck in. I will let you know. Thanks for that Dennis.

Arthur.