rupturing cooling hose 3.0 liter Volvo

redey2xtreem

Cadet
I have a 1998 3.0 Liter Volvo Penta on a 185BRL Reinell. I have ruptured the main cooling hose going from water circulation pump to t-housing twice in 9 months. Talked with many people locally including having one place call Volvo directly here in the states, all service upgrades are up to date on cooling system. Thermostat operates as it should, impeller is new (after shredding one last season), checked for any blockages that I could. Pulled exhaust riser to check for blockages, clean. Boat ran hard many times pulling skiers/wakeboarders/tubers between incidents. Ready to put new hose on tonight.<br /><br />Anyone have any similar experience with this issue???<br /><br />Thanks for any responses in advance.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: rupturing cooling hose 3.0 liter Volvo

make sure its not chafing on anything. if it touches anything it will create a weak spot. several 3.0 motors I have had to make a chafe gaurd for the hose. you may also have a blockage in the pump bypass passage in the plock.

redey2xtreem

Cadet

Thanks - everyone has asked if it was rubbing on anything but I don't believe so, I will see when I put the new one on. What is a pluck?? I have checked all parts of the bypass system and they are clear. I have a sneaking feeling my riser may be slightly plugged causing back pressure.

DHPMARINE

Captain

My guess is also chafing.Do you have power steering?A worn belt for the p/s pump would make the pump body rub on the hose,maybe gving the hose short life.<br /><br />DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

pretty sure plock shuld have been block.Like in engine block.<br /><br />DHP

redey2xtreem

Cadet

I just looked at both blown hoses, one from last year definitely older and the one I put on last year which just burst, no sign of any chaffing or rubbing by anything. No power steering belt to worry about. Tear starts at the flange portion of the water circulation pump housing and goes about 2-3 inches on the bottom side of the hose. <br /><br />Could a reduction in the opening of the thermostat reduce flow and cause any back pressure??? Temp sticking at the right temp during operation, no concern of thermostat not opening. This is not an overheat situation.<br /><br />Thanks

DHPMARINE

Captain

Is the pump bracket cracked,and the pump moving under load ? Can you post a pic ? Doubtful internal h2o presure is causing this.<br /><br />DHP

redey2xtreem

Cadet

Brand new water circulation pump this winter, no movement, the old one was starting to leak near the shaft. <br /><br />Are you talking of a pic of the torn hoses??<br /><br />GR

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, even a picture of the hose installed on the engine with a make of some kind to show where it went bad would help.<br />Is your engine fresh water cooled with a heat exchanger, or raw water cooled?

redey2xtreem

Cadet

Well just got done installing the new hose. It is very close if not barely touching the arm that holds the impeller housing. I wrapped the hose with pvc tape used to protect plumbing pipe. But I find it hard to beleive that would cause it to rupture. If the motor torques everything torques together. The hose does expand when under pressure, again temp never getting above 170 so I know the Thermostat is letting more water flow through.<br /><br />One thing I did notice, on the flange of the water circ pump housing this hose slides onto, the area in question had a bit of a sharp area, like a post mold non-filed off part of the flange. If the hose is flexing in and out of a pressure situation that could chafe it from the inside of the hose - maybe...........<br /><br />Rodbolt - what kind of chaf guard did you do on the outside of the hose???<br /><br />Don S. - sorry did not see your post till after, now dark here and heading out of town for w/e, boat is in a storage yard so no pic of setup. Basically it is the U shaped hose for the raw water system connecting the water circ pump to the T-Housing, biggest diam. hose in cooling system.<br /><br />Thank you all for your thoughts, first time posting, could not find anything in the archives on this issue.<br /><br />GR

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I use a thin piece of rubber and wire ties. if you can find an old truck inner tube they make wonderful chafe guards. file off any sharp casting edges and if it touchs anything it will become a rupture point. sometimes power steering brackets and water pump brackets and various other things some "ang a neer" put to close will chafe things under normal operating conditions. and watch them plocks:) :) <br /> sometimes (most times) I forget to proof read :) most times I post while chatting with my honey in Venezuela so I get a bit distracted. or at least thats my excuse and I am sticking to it :)

redey2xtreem

Cadet

Rodbolt - thanks again I will file off the sharp casting edge after thinking about it this w/e. Where exactly is the "pump bypass passage in the block"?? Is it near the bottom of the block in front near the water circulation pump?? This was a new pump this winter and the area looked clean upon inspection. <br /><br />Oh and your excuse works with me......... :)

redey2xtreem

Cadet

Rodbolt - So can you tell me where the Pump Bypass Passage" is???? Can'texactly find it on any schematics or manuals.<br /><br />Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

its the dime size passage on the stbd side just behind the pump in the block

lamintdog

Cadet

*BUMP*

Hey all - I JUST ran into this same issue 3 years later. I'm wondering if any of you are still out there and can help me out. I have a 1996 3.0L GS w/ SX Outdrive. Manual steering. I shredded my impeller about a week ago. Replaced it with a new one. Hooked the muffs up to the outdrive and before connecting the water supply hose to the raw water pump, I purged it out and impeller bits came out. Reattached it and all was well so I thought.

My "U" shaped hose b/w the T-housing and Circ pump in the block :) expands a lot under pressure when I'm giving it gas.

Is this normal? Should it be expanding under throttle or is that some sign of partial blockage? Water does flow out the exhaust ports and through the exhaust manifold. I have not looking in the exhaust riser yet for blockage which I will do tonight. I did pull the circ pump off the block and checked it for impeller pieces which I did not find. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will post my exhaust riser findings later.

Thanks in advance guys.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Old 2005 thread

lamintdog, First off, welcome to iboats
Second, start a new thread with your question, don't just tack on to the end of a 3 year old thread. In no time your question will be lost and people start answering the original question, or your question, or who knows. Gets very confusing.