Replace shift cable - Volvo Duoprop

bcomer

Seaman
Believe the cable needs changing as it is very difficult to shift. 1996 Volvo 5.0 with duoprop outdrive.<br /><br />Does the drive have to come off? How to change cable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replace shift cable - Volvo Duoprop

No, the drive does not have to come off. But you do need to take the back cover off the drive and disconnect the linkage, then there is a bolt on the side of the bellhousing that holds the cable in. Loosen the bolt and pull the plate back.<br />Then the cable will pull out of the hose inside the boat. Disconnect the cable from the shift/throttle control and install the new cable. On one end of the cable, you will find the length in either inches or feet. get the new cable first and use the old cable to pull the new one through the side of the hull.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just did it 2 weeks ago on a 290DP. not a bad job at all. The bracked holding the sheathing to the back of the drive was the biggest problem. Tough bolts to get to. Completely remove the bolt fratest away from the cable, then loosen but do dot remove the other bolt so the bracket will pivot off the cable sheathing. Pair of long nose needle nose plyers helped pull and guide the cable into the housing. Simlpe if you have a helper inside to move the cable for you. regards fred

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess he really should tell us if he has a 290 style or the DP-S style drive.

bcomer

Seaman

I have the DP-S style based on the paper work I have seen. Have not seen any refernce to 290 anywhere.