Volvo DP-D1 STEERING FORK/Helmet Removal

steve232

Recruit
I'm trying to remove the steering fork from a DP-D1 shield. There is a lot of play and I'm pretty sure it is leaking on rough days.

I was able to remove the trim sender bolt. The sender, which hasn't worked in ages, is loose but hits the transom, so I can't remove it. I assume that is no big deal.

The set screw in the spindle arm has been removed. So according to the repair manual, a pry bar on the outside, the assy should just slide down.

Now that that didn't happen, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this apart?

It isn't completely frozen as I can push some grease from the fitting to outside the transom. Soaked it in PB Blaster.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo DP-D1 STEERING FORK/Helmet Removal

Probably the arm is froze (corroded) onto the shaft for the helmet. Heat and a thin chisel to open the arm usually get's the arm to let go.

steve232

Recruit

Don, thanks for the reply.

I may be missing something, but from my view laying on top of the 8.1L, it looks like the arm is solid.
It is sandwiched top and bottom by what appears to be the inside transon assy.

It looks like I'll need heat, but sure don't like the idea of open flames in a confined area!

Thanks
Steve

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

that is corect. the other thing that happens is that water betwenn the plastic bushings and the aluminum causes corrosion that expands enough to compress the bushings making the fork tuff to turn or remove.
cut yourself two wooden wedges and use them between both sides of the fork and shield. the wood generally won't harm the aluminum or paint.

steve232

Recruit

Well here is an update.

It is apart. I tried everything but heat. Just too many issues to deal with, wires, transom, access.
I made up a rig that used a piece of re-bar across the bottom out the outside housing, connected to a hd turnbuckle and a wire bridle around the helmet. Deflected the re-bar by inches. Wouldn't give.

So, where the grease fitting was, I drilled out to the largest drill size I had. Then used a air chisel to cut the rest. Never make it all the way at the bottom.

Then from the outside, I was able to beat the helmet off with a sledge hammer.

So now I need to order parts.

The tag on the housing says dp-s 3868299.

Looks to me like I need to order:

854705 top bushing
854704 bottom bushing
977313 sealing ring
872845 steering fork kit
853048 bushing
872722 spindle arm
947904 set screw
914169 grease fitting

Does this look correct?

Also on the steering fork "kit", are some of the above parts included?

Next, the trim sensor. I don't need it. What could I use to seal the hole in the shaft, epoxy or something like 5200?

Thanks
Steve

rfdfirecaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steve 232...

I have the exact same outdrive. I didn't know a thing about how it was assembled and even though I own a good set of tools I don't consider my skill level to be that of a good shade tree mechanic. But with the help of Don S. I have performed significant rebuilds on my DP-D1 as well as my transmission and I even did an engine swap.

Whatever that guy tells you.. DO IT! Don't ask why, just do it! Be sure to provide photos of what you're referring to. I found that photos will get you more responses to your problem and responses that are in greater detail. But the bottom line is on this DP-D1... I can give you personal testimony that Don S. is your man.

BTW... Here's your Christmas card Don S.... Merry Christmas!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks like the right parts to me.

Also on the steering fork "kit", are some of the above parts included?

Can't say for sure, the only one that might be included would be the 853048 bushing.

Next, the trim sensor. I don't need it. What could I use to seal the hole in the shaft, epoxy or something like 5200?

Use the old gear wheel and seals with some grease to fill the hole. When you sell the boat, the next owner may want to use it.

steve232

Recruit

I still haven't put this back together yet. Appears the Volvo 872722 Spindle Arm is back ordered and they are having problems getting the part from the factory. Volvo has missed Jan and Feb delivery dates. They are hoping for the part some time in March.

So if anyone comes across a dealer with the 872722 Spindle Arm in stock, could you please reply.

Thanks
Steve

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Take the spindle to a machine shop. They might be able to make you a new one. It may cost more, but they will have it for you THIS year. Given the price of parts, it might even be cheaper. That has happened.