Volvo Penta 572/PS engine and transom/outdrive compatibility

atlanticliving

Recruit
I have recently purchased a project boat - Bayliner Contessa 28' 1985 in great condition except
for the engine, transom assembly and outdrive. The engine in it is a Volvo Penta 260A and the
numbers on the transom assembly in the engine compartment are Drive Unit 867900 8505 serial number 701019. The outdrive itself is a duoprop but has no info on it. I have a complete
replacement engine which I was advised to get by 3 different volvo Penta guys. It is a 572/PS S/N 4100135937 model #? 868518. Other numbers on the data plate of this engine state: Drive Unit DP-C 872205 and 3102124750 (SN?). It also says Transom assembly 104114011 and 4101508441
Phew!!! I was advised this engine is a much newer version of the 260A. My question is what
transom assembly and outdrive are compatible with this engine and the existing hole in the
boat? Or will I need to adapt something?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta 572/PS engine and transom/outdrive compatibility

the DPC is one of the aq series drives similar to my 5.7 Volvo C1 Duoprop . it will be the large foot print transom shield... not the small SX DP-S style. your contessa v/p drive is also aq series 280 r so.
If you plan to use the all of the 572 DP-C drive, youll want to make a template of the dpc transom shield and lay it against the transom cutout and see what needs to be modified..an adapter is not needed.
The dp-c is an excellent drive system.. id sure use it if it were me.
should be no issues with the engine and this drive used in the Bayliner Contessa 28' .
heres a link that will give you parts schematics for the 572
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-cat-7736260.aspx

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a drawing that shows the cutout you will need (290-DP-E) for the DP-C transom shield. You now have the 270/280 cutout.
The drawings shown are with the crankshaft centerlines all in the same spot. That little bit of overlap shown where the 280 is larger is not a problem.
You can also view the full size template here http://www.4shared.com/document/3ODAofPr/DPE_Transom_cutout_template.html?
I would suggest getting the full size template from your local dealer to layout on the transom.

Attachments

• Cutout comparison.jpg
    Cutout comparison.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1

atlanticliving

Recruit

Thanks, that is really helpful and just what I need.
I'm greatful for both lots of advice I've received on this, both being just the help I
was hoping for!