1990 Chaparral 1800 SL Volvo Penta 250A (AQ151) (B230) Project MAUI!

1800slchap

Cadet
Just bought a new I/O boat this past weekend, couldn't pass it up, guy leaving the island and I got it for a steal! Well a steal for Maui, second hand boats here are few and far between.

It?s a 1988 Chaparral 1800SL with the Volvo Penta 250A (AQ151) ?red-block? B230 & SP out-drive, Engine#2200109982 Drive#1101593985. HR meter shows 176.5hrs but I doubt it. The deck is in good shape no rot, and the EZ loader trailer is in great shape. The boat was last in the ocean 5/2009 then in 8/2010 he decided to get it running again and it wouldn?t start. Let it sit till 10/2011 when I got it.
Initial look I took of the boat, it showed potential. He had stated it wasn?t running but it was running great before he let it sit. I checked under the engine cover and the motor showed a little rust, mainly on steel bolt heads and light metals. The distributor cap was off and the alternator, water pump belt was off in the bilge. I turned the engine over by hand and it got compression on the second 180 right when the timing mark came to TDC. Looks like it needs a new timing belt, the cam is rusted and the tensioner pulley is corroded too.
OH NO dual carbs! The alternator and starter look fairly good and maybe recently replaced. There is what looks like a new distributor cap and the spark plug wires are shot! Blue Top Optima dated 10/09, and a couple of relays lying next to it in the battery compartment. No oil in bilge, electrical looks like it needs a good cleaning and maybe a new harness but I enjoy that kind of stuff and I did want a project anyway.

THE PLAN

I got her home and I pressure washed the outside and the cushions on the inside, the boat had been covered but still was quite dusty. Let her dry out in the sun and got to work taking all the seats out, I need to replace the interior carpeting in the boat so I figured now is a good time to get them out of the way, eliminates greasy hand prints too!

After further inspection the carbs are loose and it looks like someone was about to attempt a timing belt job as I found a new timing belt in the box and the heat exchanger bolts were loose. I took the plugs out sprayed a little WD40 down each hole and let it sit as I peered in with a flashlight, looks nice and shiny in there, well of course it does you just sprayed WD40 in there LOL! Checked the oil on the dipstick smells a little old but looks good and is right on the full mark, pulled the fill cap on the valve cover and peered in , all shiny no corrosion from what I can see here (cross fingers). 

I then hook up the battery, the motor turns over, sounds fine, let it crank over about 8-10 revolutions. Now that I had power, the dash voltmeter is showing 11.8v and the blower fan comes on, I try the lights/nav button on the dash and the oil pressure and water temp gauges peg out and I lose power to trim panel and now the blower fan won?t come on! I unhooked the battery ASAP! Electrical gremlins as I suspected! I will try to clean all the contacts on switches and gauges, clean and replace all ground connections and I think whole new battery/charging/wires are in order. Replace connectors and cover in dielectric grease. See if I can get power back to a few things.
In the mean while I need to test all accessories to verify trim motor, bilge pump, lights and accessories function. I can replace electrical all day long, I enjoy it and look forward to cleaning up this boats accessories. I have a battery isolator I have been hanging on too. I will install it with my pair of blue top Optimas?, keeping one for cranking and the other for everything else.
I pulled the carbs and started to disassemble them, I have one completely torn down cleaned and ready to go back together, the other is soaking in the parts cleaner bucket as I type this. Kits are on order will be here hopefully tomorrow. Also ordered new fuel pump, spark plug wires, points, condenser, water separator/fuel filter, Perko battery selector switch, and a few other things. Raw water impeller looks good, who knows about the water pump on the engine, looked in the outlet hole and it looks shiny in there, shrug!

Question #1 Can the belt tensioner pulley from the B230 be used when replacing the timing belt?

Question #2 Where can I find the wiring diagram for the panel ? engine harness?RTFM

Question#3 The manual says to use ?same as engine? for outdrive, really just 10w30?

Question#4 The accelerator tube hold down bracket/gasket in one of the 44PA1 carbs won?t come out any suggestions? I soaked it for 24 hours!

Besides that I?m good at searching forums and used to RTFM type boards. Just wanted to share my new project with you guys and try to help where possible. I owned an import car race shop for about five years back in 2000-05. Stressful business but I have built many +400hp turbo 4 cylinders over those 5 yrs drag racing, so hopefully I can use some of that info to help me get this thing back in the water. If I can help out others in the process then great!

Sorry so long, thanks for all the great info!

WP_000013.jpg The Boat

WP_000017.jpg Carb #1

WP_000018.jpg carb #2

WP_000020.jpg damn thing wont come out!

Mahalo & Aloha!

1800slchap

Cadet
Re: 1988 Chaparral 1800 SL Volvo Penta 250A (AQ151) (B230) Project MAUI!

I found the electrical diagram in the manual! DUH!

1800slchap

Cadet

I cannot remove the distributor rotor and found out that one of the bolts from the cap is broke off in the rotor. Drill & tap I guess, any suggestions on this?

I researched a new distributor and they run $1300-$1600 :eek: Has anyone tried the automotive equivalent, will they work?

I tried to rotate and set it where manual states, but in opposite order of installation, but no luck, she just won't budge! Any Ideas?

1989 250a SP

captmello

Captain

welcome. Nice boat.

1. yes, you can use an auto tentioner for your timing belt.
3. yes same as engine.

No, you can't use an auto distributer, but there are marine replacements if you need one. Id try to fix your current one.

1800slchap

Cadet

Mahalo captmello, and thanks for the welcome!

I ordered the tensioner today. Wasn't sure if there was a marine spec bearing seal or something I was an aware of. After searching I just pulled the trigger and ordered it.

Any ideas why the damn distributor won't come out? It travels up about a 1/4" then gets hung up, I'm afraid to pry under the adjustment tab, if I break this thing I will need a new one $$$$.

I know its a mechanical advance type rotor, how do you safely clean a distributor?

With the new points, cap, & condenser hopefully it throws a spark and the dwell isn't to far out.

I will keep you guys posted!

Aloha!

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The o-ring is probably getting hung up on some corrosion, Take a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone soak it and get it to rotate smoothly and start working it out.

1800slchap

Cadet

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try later today see if I can gently work that thing up and out of there.

1800slchap

Cadet

Went to register boat & trailer in my name and get new tags today. When I got there I found out the boat is really a 1990 year model not 1988. Hawaii is a registration state only no titles for boats or trailers. So with a signed bill of sale & a picture ID you can transfer ownership. $73 dollars later I am all legal and found out my boat is two years younger! :)

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The accelerator tube (candy cane) holder is a snug fit. You'll just have to keep at it. Tap, tilt, tap, tug, swear, etc., until it slides out. :D

I noticed you took the butterfly off and shaft out. You didn't really need to do that but as long as you did, look really close at the shaft clearances. If the hole is worn or elongated, it could be the source of a vacuum leak. I also noticed that you didn't remove the venturis. You don't really need to but it's a good idea to make sure the allen head screws that hold them in place are still present. They can vibrate loose and are another source of unwanted/unmetered air. IMHO, it's one of the very few places to use locktite on these carbs.

Aloha and welcome again to the forum.

1800slchap

Cadet

Well I got the Accelerator tube housing out and got one of the carbs rebuilt and back together. I will finish the second one tonight. I got the distributor out also it just took a little work and it finally popped out. New points and condenser, new o-ring and drill out that broken screw and she should be good as new. I called around and I cant find anyone here on the island who can check the mechanical advance on this distributor. I might just send it to the mainland to get rebuilt. I want everything new or completely overhauled to eliminate issues down the road. Going to stick to the points for now, might go to electronic later.

I checked those venturis allen heads, good to go. I also put a small dab (light coating) of petroleum jelly on the butterfly shaft to help with air leaks, even though the holes didn't look elongated at all.

Will re-install carbs tonight. Working on electrical now, engine bay first then cockpit, new wire, clean connections, and dual battery setup.

1800slchap

Cadet

Well got both carbs done. The wife is out of town so I used the kitchen table! Still a little corrosion on the outsides, and I tried to get off all the black paint I could. Looking better if you ask me. Will install on engine tonight. New fuel pump, fuel filter, coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor, condenser, and points to be installed next. Slowly getting electrical up to par.

Carbs ready to go!
WP_000030.jpg

The work area.
WP_000023.jpg

1800slchap

Cadet

IT IS ALIVE!

Well guys got all my parts in & installed Saturday. Started to pour in my antifreeze and found a leak behind the heat ex-changer. Seems the previous owner had loosened the bolts to the raw water inlet. I got those tightened up and filled her up, no more leaks. Used a small gas can rigged up with a new piece of fuel line for the start-up, didn't want to take a chance on the 1 1/2 yr old gas in the tank, its full by the way! I did install a brand new fuel-water filter and to help prime I filled the filter with clean fuel first. A couple of squirts of starting fluid and what ya' know started right up ran like a champ. Woohoo!

I do have a an issue with the raw water pump, will rebuild this week and hopefully make a maiden this coming Saturday! I'll keep you guys posted!

Forums like these are the greatest way to learn something new! I have to take my hat off to everyone here and all the great links, and posts to help a nub like me get started on the right foot with solid info!

Mahalo from Maui!

P.S< I'll take a photo for you guys from Molokini (the photo in my avatar) next weekend on the maiden it's only 3 miles from the boat ramp!

1800slchap

Cadet

Now that I have the boat running I have a raw water pump issue. I put the muffs on the out-drive intake grates and turned the hose on full blast. I started the engine, and after running for a few minutes the temp rose to 200-210 so I shut it down let it cool off. There is a hole at the bottom of the out-drive that seems to let all the water from the hose out. Should this be plugged up when running on the muffs? Seems I couldn't get any water to come up the intake pipe to the raw water pump. I pulled the strainer cap and dumped some water in it to see if I could get it to prime but no luck just wouldn't pull the water up from the out-drive. I am going to replace the impeller tonight, but before I try it again I want to make sure I have water at the pump first. Is there a trick to getting the air out of the intake line to get water to the pump? Don't want to ruin a new impeller by running it dry.

The water should exit the exhaust ports right?

Mahalo!

captmello

Captain

plug the hole in the bottom of the outdrive when on muffs.

hose pressure helps...

ive never had any trouble running on muffs.

1800slchap

Cadet

Thanks captmello, I tried to plug lower unit with muffs on and no luck no water at pump. Found a big air leak at the raw water pump from copper supply hose end. The rubber seals are old and not sealing. New seals and impeller today, find out if that does it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Has anyone ever tried to by-pass the pickup tube in the out-drive? I checked the connection at the out-drive and it seems to look good, will do impeller and seals then leak test system. The impeller I toom out was all in one piece and felt quite pliable, no cracks or missing fins, I hope this is the problem.

If I had a thru-hull connection I could just suck water from there.

Mahalo!

captmello

Captain

Has anyone ever tried to by-pass the pickup tube in the out-drive? I checked the connection at the out-drive and it seems to look good, will do impeller and seals then leak test system. The impeller I toom out was all in one piece and felt quite pliable, no cracks or missing fins, I hope this is the problem.

If I had a thru-hull connection I could just suck water from there.

Mahalo!

yes bypassing can and has been done, but I prefer fixing it correctly. Check the intake fitting on the outdrive, just below the ujoint bellows. that can corrode and allow air into the system. Also there is a gasket below the fitting that should be changed periodically as well. Best done with the upper gear box removed.

1800slchap

Cadet
Re: 1990 Chaparral 1800 SL Volvo Penta 250A (AQ151) (B230) Project MAUI!

Thanks captmello, I thought I was going to have to remove the whole out-drive to get at those hose connector. So glad you stated to just remove the upper gearbox. I will go ahead and get a new o-ring and gasket for that connection and replace.

I should have it all done tonight, I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

Mahalo!

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wanted something easier than jamming a wooden plug in the outdrive hole when I run her on the muffs. I ran a tap in the hole and can now fit a bolt (with T head) in that hole.

Attachments

• IMAG0417.jpg
    IMAG0417.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I will go ahead and get a new o-ring and gasket for that connection and replace. Mahalo!

The fitting itself gets eaten away and is considered a wear and replacement part. Like Captmellow said, you should replace the fitting as well as the gasket. If you buy the Sierra version, they normally come as a kit.

As far as testing the system for water leaks, there are several things you can do. A piece of clear plastic tubing installed from the chrome water inlet pipe on the inside of the transom will show air bubbles if you have a suction leak. Another thing you can do to locate the leak is look closely at the water supply path on the outdrive (the intermediate section) with water turned on and look for leaks. It can be messy but you MAY be able to see leaks from the water tube o-rings if there are any.

As far as bypassing the outdrive water supply, you can install a "t" in the line like I did:
P1010153.JPG. This isn't the same engine as yours but the water inlet pipe is the same. Be aware that bypassing the outdrive does nothing to solve a suction leak problem and it's possible that water under pressure may push back through the impeller and into the engine when it's not running so be careful. You can also use this method to pressurize the suction side to look for leaks.

1800slchap

Cadet

Piratepast40 - Thanks for the tip! I like the idea of having the "T" in the line to assure a good flush & check for leaks downstream of the RWP. I got my gaskets & seals today so tonight I will re-install the RWP and impeller, replace gasket on out-drive intake pipe, & hope that solves my problems. So ready to splash the boat but want to make sure shes cooling properly before I even get close to the ramp!

One other thing I have noticed is the out-drive will not lock into place, does this lock work off the controls? My old outboard is a manual lock type.

Aloha!