Best way to learn how to maintain and repair a volvo penta I/O engine

funshipbryan

Cadet
I just purchased a new boat at the beginning of this boating season and have really enjoyed getting into boating. I want to stay a lifelong boater and want to learn how to maintain and care for my boat. The engine in my boat is a volvo penta 5.0 Gi PEFS SN#4110198564. Is there a really detailed good shop manual on the boat or a really good way to learn a lot more about this engine. I bought the Clymer shop manual but have been disappointed with the lack of picture, drawings and engine specific detail. Any advice on best ways to learn how to take care of this engine would be very much appreciated.

Bryan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best way to learn how to maintain and repair a volvo penta I/O engine

If you are looking for a simple read this page and you will know it all, forget it. I gave you a link in your other post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=520628&p=3518145&viewfull=1#post3518145 did you look at it? Did you read all of it? If you did, you probably wouldn't be asking this question.
It takes years and training to understand the systems and all the required systems and troubleshooting procedures to understand everything, and it's not going to happen over the winter.
In that link I posted is all the OEM manuals, and a lot of other info not found in manuals. But YOU have to read and actually understand what you read to make any of it useful.

funshipbryan

Cadet

Hi Don,

Thanks again for your help, but I just want to clarify something.... I do not expect to understand all the systems and troubleshooting procedures over the winter, I know this is a life time venture of learning and I never implied that I expect to learn everything overnight. The main thrust of my post was about the manual, finding something that I can read while laying on the couch, not in front of the computer. So I guess my main question is there a really good shop manual or book on this specific engine, if not, I will just continue doing what I have done and keep reading different post and different links and working inside the boat.

Bryan

Don S

From the sounds of it, you never found the links to download free oem SERVICE MANUALS for your engine in that link I posted above. But if you want the paper manuals, you can CLICK HERE to order them.
Best to buy the set, PN 7797288 and you will have all the manuals for your engine.
The manual for your drive, PN 7743008 is no longer available.

Kblaster

Cadet

Personally I like the SELOC manual. Good basic maintenance section and a lot of detailed stuff if you need it.

Don S

Personally I like the SELOC manual. Good basic maintenance section and a lot of detailed stuff if you need it.

You gotta be kidding me. Seloc and clymers manuals make good keen pads, they do nothing more than condense the information from the OEM manuals, and leave out the needed stuff, and make mistakes on the details.
You've obviously never seen the OEM manuals for his engine.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Knee pads for a Diy'er weekend warrior maybe,..??

Nothin' beats factory manuals for the mechanically Handy.... ;)

:p a few years ago, I had this very same conversation,...
With the Publisher of Seloc manuals...:redface: :D

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the sounds of it, you never found the links to download free oem SERVICE MANUALS for your engine in that link I posted above. But if you want the paper manuals, you can CLICK HERE to order them.
Best to buy the set, PN 7797288 and you will have all the manuals for your engine.
The manual for your drive, PN 7743008 is no longer available.

Don
If you don't mind, I have several questions:
1) Regarding the manual entitled "7797353 EF Engine Manual 3.0-7.4 plus 8.2.pdf" - this manual refers to a 4.3 Gi model engine - my engine is a 4.3 GXi-J ---- is this manual the correct one for my engine (mine was manufactured in June 2010)

2) In this manual, page 1-15, for fuel injected models - it states the winter mix must consist of 5 gallons of fuel with 4 pints of fogging oil and 1/3 cup of stablizer... and run for 5 minutes... why 5 gallons - is it just because of the mixing ratios - wouldnt just a gallon with the correct mixture be sufficient ?

3) if the above manual is not correct, do you have one available like you show above for the other model - and what is the difference between a Gi and GXi-J

and also - thx for your valuable advice to those on this forum
Al

Don S

You need to start your own thread Al, not hijack Bryan's thread, and no his manuals are not the same as your's.

Kblaster

Cadet

You gotta be kidding me. Seloc and clymers manuals make good keen pads, they do nothing more than condense the information from the OEM manuals, and leave out the needed stuff, and make mistakes on the details.
You've obviously never seen the OEM manuals for his engine.

Better go with the pro's on this one. You are correct I've never seen the actual OEM manual for this engine. Maybe I should check it out.

funshipbryan

Cadet

Hi Don,

Thanks for the links. I want to ask if I did this right. I clicked on your link "Service Manauls" and it took me to a page that had a list of PDF's but none of the pdf's were labeled 7797288. I did notice that the pdf labeled 7797353 had engines listed from 3.0-7.4. I downloaded this and it includes pages for the 5.0 gi engine. Is this the information that I want or is there someway to get the pdf that would be labeled 7797288?

Bryan

Don S

The 288 set is if you buy the paper manuals. Not the download, go back up and read my reply where I gave you the number.