4.3 GS Starter motor bolt snapped

jameswakeboard

Recruit
On my 1997 Larson LXi 186 I had a bolt snap on the starter motor after the bendix gear wasnt fully disengaging. It is the inside bolt closer to the case. There is room to get a drill in under there to extract the bolt, but my question is:

1) How risky is this job, considering it is upside down drilling and blind?
2) How strong is the bolt in there likely to be? Will it likely snap an easy out? (the bolt is not seized in there, other one came out no problem)

Also, one shop (which I dont completely trust) said they want to pull the motor out to get to it. They quoted me $1300-$1400 for 16-18 hours labor. Is this accurate? or could I get it done cheaper?

Any advice or anyone with a similar experience please post.

Thanks!
Jim

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 4.3 GS Starter motor bolt snapped

It will be a PITA. Keeping the drill straight will be the hardest part, there may be enough room for the drill but is your drill thin enough to have a straight shot since the flywheel and oil pan are right there? I'd call another shop, especially if you don't trust this one. If you do tackle it yourself invest in a left hand drill bit, that way when you're drilling it's trying to work the bolt out, if it's not seized it might just come out as soon as the drill bit starts getting a bite. Be careful, use a center punch on the bolt so the bit is less likely to walk around, you don't want to damage the threads.

Bondo

Staff member

said they want to pull the motor out to get to it.

Ayuh,.... Unless you can unscrew the stub with a pick, or small screwdriver,...

I'd pull the motor, 'n do it right....
It's really an easy fix at this point,...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here's the thing. If you can't get that broken bolt out without drilling, pull the engine. If you drill a little off on that bolt, you scrap the block.
Depending on the access of getting your engine out, it may take more hours than a boat with easy access.
Many boats engines come out in 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours with no problems. Some may take 5 to 8 hours just to get out, depending on what you have to take out to get the engine out. Going back in can be difficult.

jameswakeboard

Recruit

Thanks for the advice. Other mechanics have said the same thing. They said just do it right and pull the motor or it could get a lot worse.

I figured I may as well also do a major service while its out, and one shop quoted me $900 to pull the motor, replace impeller and service, install a new starter motor, and get it back to me in 3-4 days. Cant really complain with that.