winterize clarification using volvo penta service bulletin 'fuel storage mixture'

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Volvo Penta 'requires' using a mixture of gas, sta-bil and 50:1 two stroke oil to "fog" a fuel injected motor for winterizing.

The question is, is it best to leave the existing fuel filter on for this step in winterizing - and then in the spring, just before 1st launch, install a new filter WITH fresh gas at that time ? This may be a problem tho, if there is water in the existing filter - ie a freeze will crack the fuel filter?

My concern, I guess, is that I don't know what problems would happen if I used a new filter and ran that mixture thru it - and the 50:1 oil would be embedded in the filter, would that cause a problem come spring time

Or should I run the mixture thru, and then change the filter to a new one, then run the boat again for a while without the mixture, ie the gas in boat's tank with sta-bil. Would running the motor, after the mixture "fogging", with the regular gas, "clean out" what was done by running with that mixture previously, thus reversing the point of the "fogging".

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: winterize clarification using volvo penta service bulletin 'fuel storage mixture'

The question is, is it best to leave the existing fuel filter on for this step in winterizing - and then in the spring,

No, you would then have to dilute all the straight gas in the filter to the fogging mixture. Put a new filter on (prefill with fogging mixture if you want) and then run the engine as stated.

The fuel filter is the exact same type filter materials used on outboards that run 50:1 all the time, it doesn't hurt the filter at all.