Volvo Penta 270 or 280 U-Joint Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsvh747

Cadet
I have aquired a 22 ft Sissu work boat that the marina people ran with a totally blown out U-joint and wrecked the U-joint housing that the bellows attached to. The boat has a AQ140A engine with 280 Out-Drive. I swaped this damaged out-drive with another out-drive from a AQ125 boat that was to be scrapped. There was no cover plate so I am guessing it is a 270 or 275. The U-joint that was attached seemed tight but rusty since it was also ran with bellows that had a leak. Well after only a few hours, the u-joint is starting to make noise but only when turning. Question: Can these U-Joints be rebuilt or do I need to replace the whole assembly?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 270 or 280 U-Joint Rebuild

Yes, the ujoints can be replaced. You may also find the front seal in the upper gear box is probably leaking too. The rust wears the front seal just like using sand paper on the seal.
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum, there is all kinds of info you need.

gsvh747

Cadet

Yes, the ujoints can be replaced. You may also find the front seal in the upper gear box is probably leaking too. The rust wears the front seal just like using sand paper on the seal.
Check out the stickies at the top of this forum, there is all kinds of info you need.

Don S,

Thanks for the quick reply!!!
If I understand you correctly, I only need to replace the u-joint beargs and not the whole assembly, correct?
Do I need to get the serial number on the out-drive in order to order just the u-joint bearings?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

if the crosses are internally clipped.. and i'm sure they are.. you can use the Spicer 5-1306X..
the X has the zerk in the apex of the cross.

spi-5-1306x.jpg

be sure to install a new pds bearing and seals while in there.

R@cerX_454

Recruit

if the crosses are internally clipped.. and i'm sure they are.. you can use the Spicer 5-1306X..
the X has the zerk in the apex of the cross.

spi-5-1306x.jpg

be sure to install a new pds bearing and seals while in there.
It looks like the Spicer 5-789X replaced the 5-130X. Does that mean that the Spicer 5-789X will work with Penta 270 outdrives?

aspeck

Staff member
@R@cerX_454 You are replying to an 11 year old thread. Please read the rules before posting. Thank-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.