How to Winterize a 87 Bayliner Capri ( Volvo Penta AQ225e 275od)

nramirez1978

Cadet
Hi,
I was wondering if somebody knows the steps to winterize a bayliner Capri.
I have a volvo penta AQ 225e V8 with a 275 OD. 5.0Lt.

by reading on these forums i been able to gather to the the following.

1-put in Fuel stabilizer (ran engine for a few min)
2-once boat is warm (change oil and oil filter) NEED HELP finding the Oil Drain plug
3-fill up fuel tank and add more stabilizer.
4-drain all water (which i can do by unpluggin all hoses and 1 plug from each size of the engine)
5-Add Antifreeze to flush all the water out (NEED HELP FINDING WHERE AND HOW DO I ADD ANTIFREEZE) i tried looking for some plug so i can add antifreeze, but was unable to find it.

6- Do I put the hoses back on?

ALSO--i'm thinking about changing the spark plugs and changing the oil from Out Drive before i take it out next year..

is there anything else that i should do to my boat to get it ready for winter? TEMPERATURES GO AS LOW AS 25 DEGREES

does anybody know where i can get a "service manual" from?
Thank you..

captmello

Captain
Re: How to Winterize a 87 Bayliner Capri ( Volvo Penta AQ225e 275od)

1. correct
2. the drain plug is in the oil pan like an auto engine. Or you can suck the oil out of the dipstick tube.
3. not necessary, imo.
4. Pull the plugs at the back of the manifolds, loosen the raw water pump cover to drain.
5. Antifreeze is not necessary if you drain all the water out of the engine. However, to add antifreeze, remove the thermo housing and fill the block. Use pink rv type.
6. I put everything back together once drained.

25 degrees?? that sounds nice.;)

I believe service manuals are available in the adults only sticky. In the volvo info section.

nramirez1978

Cadet

Thanks for all this great info...

one questions... I checked the service manual, but coudln't find the one for AQ225E, i only saw the AQ225D. I'm wondering if its the same one?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Same manual

nramirez1978

Cadet

Great.

One last question Mr Don. I'm thinking about just draining the water and not put antifreeze. but how can i make sure all the water is out? is there a proper way of doing this?

thanks

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

IF you have taken out all the correct drainage plugs and water flowed out of ALL of them (if not, use a wire or something similar to clean out any gunk that may have accumulated) and the boat is level, then you will be fine.