Winterize Maintenance on Brand New 10 hours on it Volvo GXi-J 4.3 and SX Drive questi

Status
Not open for further replies.

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not looking to save money or time - just looking for the correct advice, please.
Ready to winterize, boat has about 10-11 hours on it.

Questions:
1) is it necessary to change the oil and filter - it has to have the special break in oil in for at least 20 hours per warranty - I could change it to that type of oil I suppose...
2) is it necessary to remove the outdrive - to check the bellows etc.
3) fuel injected motor - should I assume that this does not get fogged - I see fogging for carbed, mine is fuel injected
4) spraying my 'favorite' corrosion blocker on the metals motor/drive etc - what do you mean - like wd40 or ?

Thanks for your advice...
Al

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Winterize Maintenance on Brand New 10 hours on it Volvo GXi-J 4.3 and SX Drive qu

Some good info here,

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=178695 maybe you found this thread?

A remote fuel tank 50:1 ratio 2 stroke oil, and proper amount of fuel stabilizer run @ 1500 rpm for ~ 10 - 15 min is a must fogging EFI/MPI engines. ( I mixed one gallon this year )

I would change oil and filter, I doubt you would void warranty.

Removal of the drive is easy... Good practice for the future... ( change drive oil minimum )

I never use WD-40 on marine applications. http://www.hmmarine.com/corrosion_block.htm something more like this... Many different manufactures... Google it..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterize Maintenance on Brand New 10 hours on it Volvo GXi-J 4.3 and SX Drive qu

1) is it necessary to change the oil and filter - it has to have the special break in oil in for at least 20 hours per warranty - I could change it to that type of oil I suppose...
I would leave it with only 10 hours, next season after 10 hours you are going to change it anyway.

2) is it necessary to remove the outdrive - to check the bellows etc.
Absolutely. Especially since it's new, you need to check the bellows for water and be sure the check the alignment and grease the coupler splines.

3) fuel injected motor - should I assume that this does not get fogged - I see fogging for carbed, mine is fuel injected
It gets fogged, just in a different way, below is the Volvo service bulletin on using the fuel mixture.
Just an FYI, mix up a gallon mix, prefill a NEW fuel filter with the mixture and fog the engine. Then pour the remaining mixture into the fuel tank.

4) spraying my 'favorite' corrosion blocker on the metals motor/drive etc - what do you mean - like wd40 or ?

Personally, I like the Volvo anti corrosion spray. One can will last you several seasons. Warm the can in a can of hot water to help it sray better. Looks horrible when you spray it on, but after it dries, it feels like a dry waxy coating, and really works for preventing rust and corrosion.

Attachments

• Fuel storage mixture.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 1

alandchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent advice - I really appreciate it Gents.
Don S. questions tho....

1)using an external portable gas tank, whether it's a 6 or 3 gallon tank - would the fuel line that you buy for this work - I would assume I'd have to cut off the outboard fitting of course, or buy a line that does not have that fitting - and then the end of that hose with a hose clamp - clamped to the fuel pump would be the correct way to go (also pumping up the 'pump primer ball' first)

2)as for the drive - checking the bellows etc, I'm not 100% how to do this yet, so I'll have to find out where to get the proper manual in order to get gaskets and the removal/install procedure etc and this may take some time - is there any reason to do this prior to the freezing whether - other than it being cold out to work on it... in other words, could there be any water trapped in the drive areas anywhere that would crack ? When you say there can be water in the bellows - would that damage anything if it froze ? Additionally, how heavy is the outdrive typically - I guess I'm not sure how to remove it without if falling over....

I know - probably dumb questions. I'm sure when I get the manual it'll tell me something...

thx again for any advice.

Last edited:

mattcamp

Cadet
Volvo Penta GXI-J 5.0L Fuel in Oil Problem

Volvo Penta GXI-J 5.0L Fuel in Oil Problem

Don,

I have learned so much from your posts/responses to posts.

Do you have the shop manual for a 2009 Volvo Penta GXi-J?
The engine serial number is 4012246103

Would really appreciate it if you could post the link for the manual like you have for so many others.

On another note - I have a mystery problem that two dealers have not been able to figure out. I am getting a significant amount of fuel mixed into the engine oil. I have checked the injectors, no problem. Checked the fuel pumps, no problem. Replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and still getting fuel in the oil.

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta GXI-J 5.0L Fuel in Oil Problem

Re: Volvo Penta GXI-J 5.0L Fuel in Oil Problem

No links newer than 06. Sorry.
You need to start a new thread with your questions per the forum rules and the announcement at the top of this forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/announcement.php?f=444

Status
Not open for further replies.