1995 Volvo Penta SX M Lower case to Upper case

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice
:confused: I have put in new orings but, should I also use varnish or a gaskit sealer on the mating surfaces when putting these together?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1995 Volvo Penta SX M Lower case to Upper case

:confused: I have put in new orings but, should I also use varnish or a gaskit sealer on the mating surfaces when putting these together?

Nope,... It's a wet cavity, inside, 'n out...

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Thought so but wasn't sure. It looked like some sort of varnsh was used near the 2 o-rings the last time it was worked on. Also found the coupler upside down. Thanks for the advice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think Bondo is referring to the surface between the upper gear housing and the pivot housing.
Between the upper and lower, I use just regular gasket sealer. Very thin coat on the water side around the orings, more for corrosion prevention than sealing.
The rectangular grommet the water tube goes in should have some grease in the round hole so the water tube doesn't push it out of position.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. That's is what it looked like to me. Last time this unit was taken down was in 2006. I am replacing the sliding clutch and all of the seals and repainting. I am using a Zink Chromate primer and then painting. When I took the pinion out there was 2 shims, a blue and what appears to be clear. I ordered all 4shims available but did not get a clear one. What I did receive was a blue, black, green and orange color.
When I measure the blue and clear it is, as best I can tell .010. Have any thoughts on this?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Install the new shims that you think are the correct replacement, then check the gear backlash and contact pattern of the gears and see if they are per spec.

willocreek1202

Seaman Apprentice

Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'm sure thats once I'm finished I will not only have learned alot about my boat, but will also have a much more reliable ride.