volvo engine alpha one gen 1 outdrive .. raw water pump

wildtrak

Cadet
its a long story how i got to this position but here i am.. i have a volvo penta 4.3 gl-d engine and im fitting a alpha one gen1 outdrive.. the reason is financial.. i have a alpha drive i dont have a volvo sx.. so im fitting the alpha untill i can aford to put in a sx drive..
i seem to be progressing but what i find now is there is a raw water pump in the out drive aswell as on the volvo engine.my question is can i do way with one of them or does it not matter?
if anyone out there has had experience with different engine to out drive i sure would like some help.
Mike:confused

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo engine alpha one gen 1 outdrive .. raw water pump

If you want to use the Volvo pump on the engine, you will need to put a through hull pickup for the water. You won't be able to pull water through the Alpha drive, it was never designed for that. Or, you use the Alpha pump in the outdrive and bypass the engine pump and go directly from the transom shield to the thermostat housing with the water hose.
You would also have to remove the impeller in the engine mounted pump.

Bondo

Staff member

its a long story how i got to this position but here i am.. i have a volvo penta 4.3 gl-d engine and im fitting a alpha one gen1 outdrive.. the reason is financial.. i have a alpha drive i dont have a volvo sx.. so im fitting the alpha untill i can aford to put in a sx drive..
i seem to be progressing but what i find now is there is a raw water pump in the out drive aswell as on the volvo engine.my question is can i do way with one of them or does it not matter?
if anyone out there has had experience with different engine to out drive i sure would like some help.
Mike:confused

Ayuh,... Where, Exactly are ya gonna transition from Volvo to Mercruiser,..??

wildtrak

Cadet

thanks Don.
alpha one outrive shaft into the volvo engine. have a bell housing that mounts on the alpha inner transom shield and fits to the volvo, i hope ive covered everything but im sure theres a few more surprises down the road.
you guys on here are great, im sure you will hear from me again..lol