volvo penta 275 upper gear siezed

mr.jones

Recruit
I could really use some help here. I have a problem that is two fold. Now before the flaming begins, let me just say that I am well aware that I screwed up and were it not for my own oversight I wouldn't be in this situation, but all that aside I am in this situation. I recently replaced the drive bellows, replaced the necessary o-rings and what not. I put the thing back together, poured in the quart that I had of gear oil with the intention of grabbing more from West Marine the next time I was nearby. Things got a little chaotic around here and I never made it back in to West Marine, forgot about it and took the boat out on the lake. While on the lake she started acting funny, popping in and out of gear at idle, jerkin and all kinds of unfun stuff. Started heading back for shore and on the way she gave one last clunk and we weren't going anywhere. I could tell that the outdrive had locked up and how quickly it all came rushing back that I hadn't added anymore gear oil. In the meantime I managed to burn out the starter trying to turn it back over hoping to limp it to shore.

I have the upper gear box removed and that is definitely where the seizure is. U-joint shaft will not spin at all and I am pretty sure that this is where it is siezed as I can turn the forward and reverse gears. Now when I say I can turn them, I of course mean they will move the millimeter of play that is available before they catch the other gear that is presumably siezed. My first question is this: Is this hopeless short of replacing the upper gear box or is there even a snowballs chance in hell that I might be able to fix this; and of course if the latter, than what is the way to do so. My second question is about the starter. Has anyone rebuilt a starter before, the thing clicks and sounds like it would like to spin the engine but just doesn't have enough mmmph. I pulled the starter, looked at it a little bit but didn't really dig into it as the more pressing matter for me right now is the outdrive.

I know that it is a VP 275 outdrive, as for the engine I'm not 100% sure. It is in an 86 bayliner capri, red and a 4cylinder VP. I've been lurking around the forums for a while now and taking lots of information, hoping that someone might be able to be as helpful as I've seen you all be on many other troubles. I hope that I've included all necessary information but if not just shout and I'll fill in the blanks that I can. Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the novel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta 275 upper gear siezed

Remove the ujoint assembly by removing the 4 allen head bolts around the ujoints and pulling the double bearing box out and looking at the gears,

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... My guess is, the price of the parts to repair the upper would be several times more than buyin', 'n rebuildin' a used 1...

The lower also needs atleast a rebuild, as all the ground up trash from the lost upper, is now all inside the lower gears, 'n bearings...

mr.jones

Recruit

Bond-o, that is kinda my fear, I have a request for a quote on a rebuilt upper, may have to do some searching for used as well. Don, I was going to try pulling the double bearing box but those allen bolts are frozen in there pretty good, I've already managed to strip 2 of em. Thought about cutting some slots into them to get a good bite on them but I don't know that even that will be enough to break them free. I appreciate the responses, I am seeing that my screw up is likely going to prove costly.