VP Morse Linkage To Edelbrock 1409

Status
Not open for further replies.

adimice

Seaman Apprentice
Instead of getting a rebuilt Q-Jet, I bought an Edelbrock 1409. So far it's an easy conversion. I'm not sure what to do now with the old Morse linkage, and how to make it work with Edelbrock. If any of you guys can help with this I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP Morse Linkage To Edelbrock 1409

You are going to have to post some pictures so we can see what you are dealing with, since I have no clue what "Old Morse Linkage" you are referring to, or how the 1409 linkage is set up, it's impossible to answer.

I have made all kinds of adapters, but there is no 1 way fits all way of doing it.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

The Edelbrock Carb looks a lot like a Quadrajet. I'll bet the cables from your Morse throttle/shifter will work just fine on it. Are you changing the manifold at the same time? Matching that carb to the manifold should yield better performance.

adimice

Seaman Apprentice

I'm using the OEM chevy manifold with an adapter from Summit that matched the Q-Jet to 1409. I'll take some pics now.

adimice

Seaman Apprentice
VP Morse Linkage To Edelbrock 1409

There is an existing hole in the VP linkage that lines up with a hole on the 1409 throttle plate, now if I drill a new hole in the VP plate and enlarge a hole on the 1409 plate, I'll have two attachments places. I dunno know maybe I'll work. Whatda think:confused:

Attachments

• linkage 002.jpg
    linkage 002.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • linkage 003.jpg
    linkage 003.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0
  • linkage 004.jpg
    linkage 004.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • linkage 005.jpg
    linkage 005.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0

Don S

I merged your two threads together, no reason to start a new thread on the same subject just to add pictures.

Looks like it should work, put the carb on and make sure of the position of the linkage on the 1409 carb before doing any drilling.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Don. FWIW, that Edelbrock carb is licensed from Weber. Although I have never worked on a 4bbl Weber, I love how their single and dual barrel models are dead simple, reliable and aggressive in their performance. Please give us your feedback on this when you get it out on the water.

adimice

Seaman Apprentice
Update V/P Q-Jet Edelbrock Conversion

Update V/P Q-Jet Edelbrock Conversion

The new Edelbrock 1409 went on nice and easy, rerouting the fuel line was no problem, and adapting the old linkage to the new throttle plate was just a matter of drilling two new hole in the old Morse linkage. Engine fired up instantly. Runs smooth and strong. A whole new sound to the engine, Throaty and solid. Edelbrock said to use a switch activated power source, not coil or alternator, so I've not connected the choke till I can find a source without going all the way back to the key. I'm sure Q-Jets are fine, when they're good, mine had seen better days, so far I'm really likin the 1409.fall 004.jpg

Don S

Re: Update V/P Q-Jet Edelbrock Conversion

I merged this again. You now completed the project, if it's not with your original questions, no one will know how it worked out with seeing the final results on this thread.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Lookin' purdy! Thanks for sharing.

Indy1K

Seaman Apprentice
I realize this is an old string, but I am doing the same swap over on my twin 1986 AQ260A/AQ290 Volvo Pentas. I had been trying to figure out the linkage connection. Thank you for the drawing. it will help immensely. Do you get WOT with the linkage placement? What RPMS are you getting on WOT?
my problem and reason for switching was I couldn't get the engines to go over 3000rpm. I rebuilt the Q jets be I think they are just shot.

Thanks,

Kevin aboard the "Russian Princess" on the Ohio River

GA_Boater

I realize this is an old string, but I am doing the same swap over on my twin 1986 AQ260A/AQ290 Volvo Pentas. I had been trying to figure out the linkage connection. Thank you for the drawing. it will help immensely. Do you get WOT with the linkage placement? What RPMS are you getting on WOT?
my problem and reason for switching was I couldn't get the engines to go over 3000rpm. I rebuilt the Q jets be I think they are just shot.

Thanks,

Kevin aboard the "Russian Princess" on the Ohio River

It's old and it's closed.

Start a new thread and take advantage of newer members and those that still post.

Status
Not open for further replies.